I watched the whole of "Top Of The Lake". It's unpleasant and violent with no
redeeming or attractive characters. I only watched because of the UG guru role
to see where that would lead. "Nowhere" is the answer. There's no real
relationship between the spiritual group and the disorder and crime surrounding
it so the commune just adds a slightly exotic ambience to the drama. You wanted
Holly Hunter's character to provide an alternative interpretation of the events
but there is no resolution - just a confirmation of Campion's pessimism.