 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 9:33 AM
 Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: Quote of the day...

   "sympathy for theology" Interesting choice of words. I would say that these
"new" atheists are scientists, so why would a scientist have sympathy for
something that refuses to demonstrate any actual evidence in favour of its
position?

 And I don't agree with the idea that Dawkins etc are smug or arrogant, they
are coming from a position that is so well sussed there is simply no room for
the old ways of believing to be necessary. And they are deliberately starting a
fight in the hope of making people think about what they decide is real, it's a
post 9/11 thing to try and shake people out of the religious stupor they walk
around in without questioning it. Why would they want to do that? This the
funny bit, Dawkin's thinks people will be happier with a more accurate
description of reality than the superstitious ones that people still get
brought up into. LOL, he obviously didn't read Xeno's security blanket list. If
atheism promised a life after death he might have more takers.

 If you want a scientist to take a theory seriously you have to show that what
it explains is a superior explanation to the current one. And here's your
problem, the cornerstones of scientific thought are so sussed that trying to
lever in a supernatural being or creator (or whatever this brahma does) is
really going to take some doing as it's been shown to be unnecessary. We have a
couple of good theories as to how the universe got here without any help. We
know about stellar evolution and the creation of dense matter from supernovae.
Evolution from simple forms to more complex. Not finished but there is an
undeniable drift away from biblical explanations for creation.

 This is where the apparent smugness comes from I think. God has been forced
into such a small corner by our understanding that you have to wonder if all
that is left over as his domain is actually an insult to the old dude. So you
have to get all "god is a manifestation of all things" to still keep the
concept alive. A far cry from his glory days. Progress happens when someone
spots that a theory is contradicted by the evidence. To get any concept of god
taken seriously you'll have to show how any current explanation of our
experience is inadequate without some sort of supernatural being. Good luck
with it but blissful states of consciousness aren't going to do it, I had all
of them and it didn't convince me.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

 Judy is correct. What Stephen Roberts (who he?) doesn't get is that "God" is
not a proper name. The trouble with these new atheist types is that they have
no sympathy for theology so completely misunderstand the language that
theologians use.