Thanks for that reply.  I rushing a little here, but one take away I get is
that for that to happen, (existence after death), there'd have to be something
we are presently unaware of.

 And yes, I don't care to speculate too much about things, but in my opinion,
in our western dominated notions of medicine and the body, there are things,
many things, that have escaped our ability to detect.  So, I would speculate
that there are a so called causal body, or a subtle body that would be the body
that does the crossing over.

 Now, whether or not some evidence will come to the fore to support this, and
other heretofore unexplored (at least by western medicine) such as different
pranas, I have no idea.  But yes, causal bodies, subtle bodies would be part of
my belief system.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Personally, I think it would be cool if there was an afterlife of some
description but it's the last thing I'm expecting. For there to be anything it
would either have to have evolved (most likely impossible) or there is
something fundamental we don't know about the universe which is possible but
unlikely in a case like this because the potential for us to escape to another
realm would have to have been waiting for us to evolve into it and it didn't
happen like that, there was no goal for life to aim for. Unless that's the
evidence for god that everyone seems to be looking for, but it's a bit of a hit
and miss kind of god and he might have had a very long wait indeed as we
needn't have survived this far.

 This is what makes Hameroff's theory about quantum consciousness being a
detachable soul such an attractive proposition, but it isn't one that I thought
more than twice about. As far as I know (and it isn't much) quantum stuff
couldn't survive either in the brain (too hot) or outside (too much
interference) it would need some sort of motive force to hold it together and
it's hard to see what that might be as quanta are supposed to be the ultimately
small thing, there isn't anything else as far as we know. It sounds like
desperate new age thinking to me.

 Other physicists dismiss it utterly, except people with books or prayers to
sell like John Hagelin who talk vast amounts of shit of their own. Someone
should draw a chart of unlikely claims made by quantum physicists so we can see
just how relatively impossible each thing is.

 Research into NDEs could give us a clue, people report being outside of their
bodies in operating rooms and claim to have heard conversations between doctors
that they shouldn't have been able to hear due to being unconscious. To see if
it's a real phenomena instead of a shift in consciousness in some way hospitals
in England have things placed on high shelves out of the sight of people in the
room. So if someone actually leaves their body they should be able to tell us
what they saw which would qualify as objective proof of out of the body
experiences. And, if it was repeated consistently it would cause a scientific
revolution. So far nothing, but NDE's are rare and  you just might have other
things on your mind than searching shelves for weird stuff.

 And then, I remember reading a book about it and of the people who meet
relatives on the "other" side, a third meet relatives who are still alive! That
leaves it dead in the water as a theory about life after death but it's still
interesting and one of the few paranormal things we can check.

 Or maybe when we die we have an NDE because of lack of oxygen or changes in
the brain that makes us think we are heading towards an afterlife. That'd be a
nice touch.

 Richard Dawkins is exasperated that people don't leave religions in flocks to
join his intellectually superior atheist position. But certain annihilation of
the soul at death is rather cold comfort and a bit of a tough call to rally
round! So I live in hope, but not expectation.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

 Does it advance the discussion in anyway to ask what "you" believe, say in
regards to what happens when you die, or when "anyone" dies?  Is it the atheist
position that it's "lights out". Options - "expire worthless"

 Now, I know one might say, "I have no evidence that, that's not the case", but
I'd like to know what "you" believe.

 My analysis compels me to believe that there is an element of karma, and that
karma carries over from one existence to the next, and the next.  To use a oft
cited example, the person who is a mass murderer, just merges back into
nothingness upon death?  No consequences?  So people get away with murder?  Or
no kudos for a generous life?  No second chance for a life cut down after one
or two years?

 Step away from the theory for a moment and tell us, if you care to, what you
believe in this regard.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Not as long as you'd think, it's an old one. It originated here:  "God, by
definition, is that for which no greater can be conceived. God exists in the
understanding. If God exists in the understanding, we could imagine Him to be
greater by existing in reality. Therefore, God must exist."

 I don't get the final "therefore..."  I can conceive of fabulous things but
nature is under no obligation to create them to satisfy a dubious logical
progression.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

 Logician Kurt Gödel's ontological proof for the existence of God.  (This
should keep salyavin808 busy for a while.)
 Definition 1: x is God-like if and only if x has as essential properties those
and only those properties which are positive Definition 2: A is an essence of x
if and only if for every property B, x has B necessarily if and only if A
entails http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_consequence B Definition 3: x
necessarily exists if and only if every essence of x is necessarily exemplified
Axiom 1: Any property entailed by—i.e., strictly implied by—a positive property
is positive Axiom 2: If a property is positive, then its negation is not
positive Axiom 3: The property of being God-like is positive Axiom 4: If a
property is positive, then it is necessarily positive Axiom 5: Necessary
existence is a positive property From these axioms and definitions and a few
other axioms from modal logic, the following theorems can be proved:

 Theorem 1: If a property is positive, then it is consistent, i.e., possibly
exemplified. Corollary 1: The property of being God-like is consistent. Theorem
2: If something is God-like, then the property of being God-like is an essence
of that thing. Theorem 3: Necessarily, the property of being God-like is
exemplified. Symbolically: