The good thing about Comcast trying to buy Time Warner Cable is that it has brought this issue to the forefront which is something I can be the dummies who run Comcast didn't expect. The discussion has gone VERY viral and I highly doubt the Comcast-TWC merger will be allowed. They will probably drop it.

But it has also made what was the Netflix throttling discussions go from geek and home theater enthusiast sites to mainstream America. Lots of people are annoyed now with see rebuffering and low resolution displays when they should be getting HD. Probably time to create a national front for change to take away the telecom monopolies.

In my native state of Washington dusty ol' Ephrata, a town of around 6000 has very fast Internet comparable to Google fiber. Thing is this was part of a program that was put into effect some 15 years ago by the Washington Public Utilities Department. Interesting thing is after municipal fiber was put in the then Democrat governor came out against it. That's the problem: these monopolist telecoms get their state assembly leaders to implement laws against municipal fiber. BTW, it's really not a monopoly but a monopsony:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/21/comcast-time-warner-antitrust-monopsony-case-tv_n_4833301.html