Willy
The paragraph saying -
"If we were able to unite with the essence of God, we too would become gods in
essence. In other words everything would become a god, and there would be
confusion so that, nothing would be essentially a god. In a few words, this is
what they believe in the Oriental religions, e.g. in Hinduism, where the god is
not a personal existence but an indistinct power dispersed through all the
world, in men, in animals, and in objects (Pantheism). "
This is a typical Semitic Monotheistic misunderstanding of the "Orientals". It
is just as prevalent in Orthodoxy as in RC/Protestant theology - only is
uses/misuses Western philosophic terminology (i.e. "pantheism"). Since the
creature/Creator distinction is paramount, it is the backdrop of every
discussion about theosis.
The point of the discussion is the doctrine of Theosis and how/why it is the
original Christian theological formulation.