No, he isn't a castrato. They stopped doing that over a century ago, thank
goodness. Modern countertenors use falsetto, whereas castrati used their
natural voices, which simply hadn't developed, since they were castrated before
their voices changed. Jaroussky has a very natural-sounding falsetto in the
soprano range, which is quite rare. Most countertenors are in the alto or mezzo
range. Beaufiul voice, superb musician.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jr_esq@...> wrote:

 He could be a castrato, which was practiced in Europe many years ago.  But I
heard one of these guys singing at the Notre Dame Cathedral mass in Paris a few
years ago.  It was a new experience for me at that time to hear a guy with such
a high voice range (a counter tenor according to Wikipedia).