My point was only that there wasn't enough of that type of thing to make the
term "serious" a misnomer, as you suggested earlier (see quote below). Also, in
my experience, anything more than the briefest of discussions of a piece will
mention such borrowings. (Can't speak for whatever mus app courses you took,
though.)

 Brahms was know to use tavern pieces as well as some other composers and some
composers are known for using folk songs.  This is stuff you don't often get in
music appreciation classes though I would think it would make them more
interesting.  It the music history profs that teach it and sometimes you get it
from symphony conductors who know the "inside stories." Yes, I agree, we
shouldn't do this more often.

 -- Emperor Snot

 DoctorDumbass, just to make a point here: the distinction you imagined was not
the one I was making when I used the term "serious music." If you hadn't been
so snotty about it, I would have explained that the counterpart of "serious"
music isn't "not-serious music" but "popular music." "Classical" is an iffy
term, as Bhairitu points out, because, strictly speaking, it's limited to a
particular historical period. (Although not that many classical composers used
tavern songs in their work.)  Last night in NYC there was a concert performance
of Alban Berg's opera Wozzeck, written around 1920. The music is atonal, very
far from "classical," but it's certainly not "popular" either. I don't know any
term other than "serious" that covers that whole range of music.

 So if you had the idea that my use of "serious" was intended as a putdown of
Neil Young, you own it, not me.

 fuck, yeah.

 Music is an art form and it will take many forms of expression.  The arts in
their nature are spiritual in that they have a powerful ability to shift
consciousness and emotions.

 Musicians struggle with the terms for the public for musical pieces (or in
some cases sound pastiches).  "Serious" seems a bit too serious if you consider
that many of the famous orchestral composers stole tunes from their local
tavern. "Classical" refer to a period in music and the arts, just as there are
"impressionist" and "romanticist" periods too.

 Best not to be bothered by such labels and enjoy freedom of expression while
we still have it.