 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 9, 2014 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] RE: Funny article from the Guardian Newspaper
about TM

Buddhists seem to have a BIG PR problem.

Maybe they don't spend as much on advertising as the TMO? Maybe they (shock
horror) don't think it's as important.

Everyone is familiar with all of the celebrities who practice and endorse TM.

How could we be otherwise, in our shallow age whether a celebrity does
something is the most important indicator of its worth. Just the other day I
got an email from TM HQ about how many famous slebs do TM, not sure what I was
supposed to think of it, maybe if I do TM I'll be famous like them, is that it?
Or is it just to say that I chose wisely because all these fabulous people sit
still in the same way I used to?

TM is widely recognized as a way to "transmit" all the tools necessary for
enlightenment.

Widely recognised by.....?

The additional benefit, is that the student is far more independent of the
teacher, with TM, than hanging on his coattails, as is true of the Buddhist
transmission method.

Not even remotely true, you can practise any meditation anywhere. You didn't do
much research for this did you? And what about Buck in the Dome and all the
others who spend hours and hours every day and thousands and thousands extra on
add-ons like prayers and east facing homes. The TMO encourages dependence for
your own good. Most TM-lifers never get beyond thinking there is an alternative
to the slavish dogma. The longer you are involved, the less chance there is of
learning anything else.

Buddhism creates beautiful art, probably the most beautiful, depicting the
state of inner serenity. That appears to be its sole purpose, aside from giving
a few westerners swelled heads.

I agree with you about the art but maybe Buddhists think they are better off
without Russell Brand and "world renowned" physicists talking bollocks on their
behalf?

There's something to be said for humility.

Define "spiritual accomplishments." I'll wait...

Seriously, try. What can you come up with that falls outside the general area
of "I *claim* to have had the following completely subjective experiences."?

For me, there is no such criterion. Creating a "tradition" means nothing, and
"number of students" means nothing. Certainly "making a lot of money" means
nothing, or Maharishi would be a spiritual luminary, instead of being the sad
joke he's considered by most people on the planet. Performing (or even claiming
to have performed) sidhis doesn't do diddley for me, because I've been there,
done that with witnessing sidhis, and know that they don't have anything to do
with "spiritual accomplishment," or even with being a
nice guy. I've seen at least one person levitate fer real and turn invisible
and stuff like that and then turn around and act like a total dick.

As for "austere and disciplined," what makes you believe those criteria have
anything to do with spiritual realization, or accomplishment?

As for "what the Buddha was trying to say," I personally would venture that no
human being on earth -- including the original Buddha -- has ever known that. I
hold the supposed "Buddhist canon" as being no more reflective of anything
actually said or taught by the original Buddha than the New Testament is
reflective of anything actually said or taught by the supposed Jesus. *Without
exception*, any of the "scriptures" suggesting otherwise in either case were
written by non-enlightened people decades to centuries after the supposed
teacher's life. ***

I think you're trying to cling to generic "rules and regs" for spiritual
teachers made up by those who have never been spiritual teachers, only groupies
on the sidelines.

Me, I just like characters, and the Turquoise Bee certainly was one. I don't
like him because he was some grandiose spiritual "master," but because he was a
great *character*. One of the stories about him I like best is that there is a
possibility that he *wasn't* murdered by the Chinese, but that instead he faked
his death so that he could free himself from the yoke of being the Dalai Lama
and just walk the earth, like Caine in Kung-fu.  :-)

*** I'm serious about this, by the way. I don't believe that anything of any
lasting value about either enlightenment or spiritual "realization" or
attaining it can *possibly* be captured in words. My experience in life
suggests to me that any of these things can be conveyed only by transmission
from a living person who embodies that which he or she is hoping to share with
others. No words are necessary for this process to occur, and no words can
possibly capture what is transmitted wordlessly. IMO, of course.