 http://jcr.sagepub.com/content/32/4.toc http://jcr.sagepub.com/content/32/4.toc

 It'll cost you $30 to see the text of either the Editor's Comment or the study
itself; the abstract of the study you can see on the site.

 The editor's worldview wasn't shaken in the slightest, nor was he questioning
the scientific method. Salyavin's right: What he was suggesting was that the
scientific method needed to be tightened up if it could be used to support the
TM study's findings.

 Salyavin, how do you determine what the crime rate was going to be without the
intervention? If you had to know that for sure, no study on any method of crime
reduction could be considered valid. (The TM folks took a shot with the later
DC study at predicting the crime rate without the intervention via a very
complicated statistical method--Lawson will remember what it's called.)

 I think it's called "time series analysis". Do other methods of crime
reduction actually try and predict that accurately? Surely they take what data
has been collected and try afterwards to come up with social policies to change
it. I would have thought an average over the year and compared to similar
cities would be enough but there would obviously be a large variation.

 I looked for the original raw data and found US city crime rates broken down
week by week over many years, you can't see any obvious difference for the
period of the 1993 Washington course compared to the rest of the year, but the
crime rate visibly plummeted a year later due to changes in police methods and
gentrification.

 Might be better for anyone claiming supernatural abilities if they could show
a larger than expected variation, like much larger. Big enough to be seen would
help people like me who can't be bothered to check the statistical corrections.
I remain unconvinced.

 salyavin, mind you, he was questioning Scientific Method, not any methods used
in that particular study, which would be listed in Collected Papers and that
would give one the Journal citation. I'll see if I can find it. It was a long
time ago.