Exactly what is "a divinity"?

 This is where atheists, especially those with pretensions to scientific
understanding but who are deficient in philosophy, tend to get all tangled up
and become incoherent, saying things like "I just believe in one less divinity
than you do."

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 nu·mi·nous     = having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or
suggesting the presence of a divinity.
 Exactly what is a strong religious quality? Exactly what is a spiritual
quality? How do these two qualities indicate or suggest the presence of a
divinity? If something is indicated or suggested, is that any reason to assume
that something is actually there if it has not been directly seen, directly
experienced.

 All that has to be done is demonstrate, unequivocally, what it is that one
wants others to see, then you have a reason to define and investigate what that
is. It is not necessary to investigate or define what does not exist, since one
will never come across a concrete demonstration. One can imagine all sorts of
things mentally, but never be able to show that those things exist, and as
such, all such ideas are equivalent in that there is no proof, and no
possibility of proof that such things have an existence independent of thought.
There is reason to believe that what we call an elephant exists, even if we do
not know what it is or have a name for it, it can be experienced through the
senses, at some point it can be defined, observed, argued about.

 There is a problem when the subject matter at hand is empty, but is presumed
to be real, such as invisible formless gods, or enlightenment. With gods, we
have to presume they exist, and are somehow different from us. With
enlightenment, there is the problem that it really does not exist, but we think
it does. In this case the spiritual path shows us that the idea of
enlightenment was an illusion, that what we were seeking was in fact just what
we always were, not some new thing we have never experienced before. But it
cannot be proved by argument, one just has to be crazy enough to attempt to
resolve the issue. In the rarefied atmosphere of abstract theology, if we think
that union with the god of one's imagination is the equivalent of
enlightenment, then I suspect there will be a real disappointment because at
the end of the road, the thing you have to give up is your idea of what that
god is.