Maharishi used the analogy of a falling leaf. It doesn't go straight down but
from side to side, so it takes longer to hit the ground than if it were, say,
an acorn. If you were a leaf, presumably you'd have more time to appreciate the
surrounding environment as you fell from layer to layer.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 Share, I was paraphrasing Maharishi's own description of what advanced
techniques do: they make the angle of the dive less, so that we can take more
time to appreciate different layers of the mind on the way to the Transcendent,
rather than just diving straight in.

 I have no idea if my physiological interpretation of what he meant is correct,
but it seems highly unlikely that the kind of EEG that long-term TMers show,
including those who have been taught advanced techniques, can be associated in
any way with the EEG that shows up in people who have been practicing other
mantra meditation practices for a long time.

 They're just too different.

 Lawson, I'm not sure about the accuracy of your statement that because the
dive is shallower, progression to samadhi takes longer. In one of Fred Travis'
graduate classes, someone complained that they didn't feel deep in TM anymore.
Fred explained that one way to understand the growth from CC to GC is that the
depth comes up to the surface. So we might not feel deep. But that doesn't mean
that we aren't deep. I'd add that in any case, trying to feel deep is counter
productive.