 > > >  I disagree. I see nothing wrong with preference or believing in
 > > > hierarchies, but I definitely don't see them as the same thing. Despite
 > > > your attempt at what you thought was a clever remark earlier, having a
 > > > preference does NOT imply believing in a hierarchy.

> > --- <authfriend@...> wrote :

 It was a perceptive observation, not an "attempt at a clever remark." And
having a preference does imply having a hierarchy of personal values.

> ---  <turquoiseb@...> wrote :

I disagree. Assuming you already like both flavors equally, you are offered
either vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Does your choice at that meal imply that
you feel the one you chose was "higher" or "more valuable," of just that you
had a preference for one of them that day?

Rhetorical question. No need to reply. I was just amused that neither you nor
Share can conceive of having a preference without the presence of some kind of
hierarchy. I would suggest that this is pretty limited thinking. But if it
makes you unhappy, stick with it.  :-)

The entities on the level of 'body, senses and mind' are
bound by the great cosmic law of eternal fixation.

The entities on the level of the intellect are bound by the
great cosmic law of eternal change.

The two great cosmic laws exist and operate side by side.
It's important to understand this paradox first. Thus, the
rules of existence change once the entity evolves to the
intellectual level.

In the movie matrix, Neo meets the architect and in that
dialogue the notion of choice crops up.

http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/special/ MatrixReloadedSpeech1.php
http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/special/MatrixReloadedSpeech1.php
This applies only to entities on the level of the intellect.

I remember a master (forgot his name) saying, 'only entities
on the lower order exist to survive.  we are here only to
understand.'