From: "curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com" <curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com>

To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:35 PM
Subject: RE: [FairfieldLife] Note to Rick Conderning his interview with Sam
Harris

--In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <rick@...> wrote :

Thanks. How would you (and Curtis & others) describe Harris in a word or a
phrase? I see him referred to as an “atheist”, but from what I’ve read
so far, that characterization is very inadequate. My impression of him
so far is that everything should stand the test of actual experience,
but he’s open to the possibility that experience is not limited to the
obvious and mundane. So maybe he’s an agnostic, open to the possibility
that God can be experienced.
C: Great question. As Richard mentioned, Sam doesn't like to be associated with
all the baggage of assumptions the term atheist brings. He feels it is not a
good description. But not because he is what you would call an agnostic. One
huge misconceptions about atheist thought is that it includes the assertion
that "I know there is no god." I have had discussions here trying to establish
this only to have it pop up again that I am making an assumption that there
could not be any type of god. How could anyone know such an absolute thing?
Certainly not someone trying to take a position of epistemological humility
concerning the assumptions contained in theism.

TB: Rick, in my opinion the very question you bring up is off-base. Why or how
would anyone want to describe *anyone* "in a word or phrase?" The very desire
to do so assumes that you can pigeonhole a person into a neat little category
that can be in *any* sense accurate.

Add to this problem the issue of how *both* the words "atheist" and "agnostic"
have been distorted in popular usage, and I would stay away from both terms
completely. Being called an "atheist" *cannot help but bring up negative
connotations* that many people have about those who see no reason to believe in
a God. And the term "agnostic" is almost as bad, because many people MISUSE it
the way you did above, Rick. Agnosticism is NOT "being open to the possibility
that God can be experienced" or even "being open to the possibility that God
exists." That's how a *theist* sees the term "agnostic." It really means
"a-gnosis" or "not knowing," as in not knowing *anything* for sure. But it's
devolved into a set of assumptions held by theists, and its intended purpose is
to start an argument/discussion to try to force a supposed atheist into
admitting that there is a "possibility" that there is a God. In other words, as
I see it the term "agnostic" -- as used
 today -- is just an extension of the theistic argument, and part of their
desire/need *TO* argue.

I honestly don't know how Harris would react, not having read enough of his
writing to have a feel for such things. I know how *I* would react at being
called an "atheist" (especially the way some on this forum use the term, as if
it's a negative expletive of some kind) OR an "agnostic." I would see the use
of EITHER term as IRRELEVANT to any discussion of spiritual experience. I've
never needed the concept of God to explain any experience I've ever had or any
belief about the nature of existence I've ever entertained, and likely never
will. I've *NEVER* believed in any kind of God, and so I have never been
tempted to interpret any of the many spiritual experiences I've had in terms of
one, or requiring one. To attempt to bring God into the discussion as if it HAS
to be there in order to discuss spiritual thinking is to me an indication of
limited, cannot-escape-from-the-box-of-one's-own-assumptions thinking. It's
what Edg does periodically, and that I
 bust him for. He seems *incapable* of discussing spiritual experience without
defining it in his mind around the concept of God, whereas for me such a
concept is completely unnecessary and irrelevant.

It's irrelevant for a neuroscientist, too, if they're being true to science and
dealing with what can be measured. It's irrelevant for millions of Buddhists,
who (like me) have no need to postulate a God. They have spiritual experiences,
too -- it's just that they don't need to bring "God" into the picture to either
have them or discuss them.

The discussion of spiritual experience ISN'T ABOUT GOD. It's about EXPERIENCE.
To pretend that such discussions have to revolve around the existence or
non-existence of God is -- to me -- missing the point. As many non-theists have
suggested when dealing with argumentative theists, "What would CHANGE about the
world you see around you if it turned out that God does not exist." The answer
that almost any thinking person has to come up with is "Absolutely nothing. It
would continue to be what it is." My point is that this is equally true with
regard to spiritual experience. Take the concept of God away, and it's *STILL*
spiritual experience."

The difference between the atheist and the agnostic is that the atheist has
looked at enough of the proofs of god's existence, or examined the reasons
people have concluding this and found them unconvincing for a variety of
reasons from philosophical to cultural. He has seen the various categories of
how people construct their god beliefs and these are inclusive enough that it
seems like an unlikely probability that man will come up with some new unknown
way to make this claim that would be convincing. Agnostics are more ambivalent,
but neither can rule the possibility of there being a god out. Atheism is not a
positive belief, it is a lack of a belief which leads to Sam's perspective:

“In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one
ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a
"non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still
alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest
ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises
reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious
beliefs.”

― Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation Quotes by Sam Harris

TB: I *LOVE* the last phrase. That's it. Atheists don't sit around and ponder
the *lack* of a God the way that many theists sit around and ponder the
existence of one. God is simply irrelevant to their lives. *Until* some
"believer" tries to get in your face and make it "all about God," that is. Then
-- speaking from experience -- one can be tempted to make a few noises to
express one's shock and dismay at finding that such archaic ignorance is still
being spouted on planet Earth as if it were Truth. The sputtering noises we
non-theists make in the presence of rabib theists are a form of laughter.  :-)

I'll bet his description in his books is how he likes to think of himself. He
is a philosopher and neuroscientist (his BA and PHD and the Co-counder and CEO
of Project Reason, a nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific
knowledge and secular values in society. It will be interesting to see if he
includes his long time meditating in his description of his upcoming book as
one of his credentials.

 Letter to a Christian Nation Quotes by Sam Harris
35 quotes from Letter to a Christian Nation: ‘The president of the United
States has claimed, on more than one occasion, to be in dialogue with God. If
h...
View on www.goodreads.com Preview by Yahoo