Yes it was an interesting ride since I was trapped for two days setting up my
new laptop. I had been resisting for years because I didn't think my non 64 bit
professional graphics and web building programs would run on 64 bit bit
Windows. But I had to go for it to edit videos and to my delight my old school
programs do run and much faster! My days also included interactions with
viruses and reinstalling the whole operating system, so lets just say I had
time staring at a screen...

I was happy to encourage Jim run his thing because I have always had a theory
about his "experiences" and this interaction seems consistent with that. It was
interesting to watch him go. He is certainly stuck somewhere and letting him do
an imitation of that Indian poster, whose name shall not be spoken, for a while
should be instructive for  those on this forum who give him his "enlightened"
pass.

It all made a fantastic example of one of my original points about how
subjectively reported higher states get you zero in epistemology points.
Anybody can say anything for all sorts of reasons and our language is too
imprecise to sort it all out. Perhaps MRI will someday.

I think the knowledge of dissociative disorders has to be integrated into an
discussion of spiritual states of mind. Margret Singer told me that TM people
were the most dissociated ex cult members she worked with. If you combine this
with a weakness toward this condition you get...well you know! It erodes the
ability to distinguish fact from fantasy. This is one of my complaints about
spiritual systems in general, lack of integrating psychological information and
imprecise language with lots of social rewards for "going along" with people
who are disturbed.

Thanks for the info. I think that Tibetan perspective matches how I understood
Maharishis teaching. Jim's perspective is only his own. At its root is
something about feeling superior based on an assumption about himself that we
are not buying. The name Jim-bot was too perfect. The combination of what I was
dealing with on my computer and with him was scarily parallel! But it also
reminded me of interactions with others here who go off this bend in an
aggressive way toward me. It is an internet hazard.

I'm back on the road but will post when I can.

 A rap for Curtis, now that the Jim-bot has shouted himself out and probably
fallen asleep.

For obvious reasons, I didn't want to get involved with Jim while he was busy
doing his Biff Tanner imitation. He's clearly-out-of-control angry over the
fact that he can't get me to react to his taunts, and that out-of-control-ness
amuses me, so I'll allow him to continue to rant later when when he wakes up
with a Boy-I-sure-shouted-them-down-didn't-I hangover.  :-)

But I do wish to comment on some of Curtis' comments, to add in my two
centimes. Yes, I *do* agree with him in believing that Maharishi was WAY off in
coming up with any meaningful interpretations of and descriptions of
consciousness and what it means. And one of the key indicators of this to me is
his reliance on a phenomenon that is seen as so meaningless in other meditation
traditions that it is almost never spoken about, let alone suggested as a
criterion for enlightenment.

I am speaking, of course, of "witnessing." In Tibetan and other more
traditional forms of meditation teaching, this phenomenon is so commonplace and
is considered so meaningless that it is almost never mentioned, except with a
passing warning. The warning is to not get hung up on it, because it's so easy
to (in MMY terminology) "mood make" the sensation to convince oneself that
they're more "advanced" than they really are.

That, interestingly enough, is the same finding that neuroscientists have
gleaned from lab experiments. The phenomenon of witnessnessing can be
*generated*, merely by stimulating the proper areas of the brain. Furthermore,
once the subject has experienced it via stimulation, it is possible for them to
"bring on" that experience again just by making a mood of it.

That's what I honestly think happened to the Jim-bot. He had some minor
experiences of witnessing, and having a shitload of ego problems and wanting
some attention, he kept mood-making the experience again so that he could use
it to justify his oneupsmanship games. This is *exactly* why teachers in more
legitimate traditions don't focus on "witnessing" as anything more than a
beginner's perception, and don't try to convince students it's meaningful. The
phenomenon is so easy to simulate subjectively that people get themselves in
trouble *trying* to simulate it, and wind up wandering around in a state of
classical psychological dissociation, unable to tell fantasy from reality.

I might suggest that this pattern is very evident in the Jim-bot. Surely most
people have noticed his compulsion to always try to "one-up" anyone in the
realm of what he feebly considers "spiritual experience." Someone mentions an
experience on Batgap or FFL, and he *can't help himself* and has to come
roaring in claiming to have had that experience years ago. I've often been
tempted to make up some experience that Maharishi supposedly talked about out
of whole cloth and post it, just to see how long it would take Jimbo to claim
he'd had the made-up experience, too.  :-)

Anyway, my point is that this compulsion to play oneupsmanship games with one's
supposed "advanced consciousness" is considered by older, more established
meditation traditions as *pretty much what happens* when one emphasizes
"witnessing" and pretends that it's anything but the fleeting, everyday,
beginner's experience it is. "Witnessing" is so easy to mood-make that these
teachers don't want their students going down that path and losing themselves
in delusion. Jim is the perfect example of what happens when they do.

  • [FairfieldLife]... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... nablusoss1008
      • Re: [F... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
  • [FairfieldLife]... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]