 From: "steve.sundur@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:03 AM
 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: To Curtis, on "witnessing"

   What you say is fine.  Again, I was well aware of this "limited number of
breaths" things.  It never stopped me, or anyone I knew from engaging in
rigorous activity.  In my case, during my MIU years and after, playing tennis,
or other sport that met my fancy.

 So, it may be that you are making the exception the rule, at least as far as
some people avoiding anything that may raise their breath rate.

 And of course, you discount the fact that walking was always something
recommended by MMY.  You feel the need to make a condescending comment about it.

 Much of B's three posts on the subject today rang true, I know people still
who don't do exercise because they think it will "stress" them in some way. I
knew people who believe the secret to long life is not breathing too much.

 And so what.  They've chosen a certain lifestyle that suits them.

 Does it suit them? Or do they just go along with it because they were told
they'd get enlightened quicker? Maybe you just find the anaemic, osteoporosis
look irresistable. Go figure.

 You're the one making a judgement about what they are doing.

 The only judgement I would make here is that they have a role model they trust
utterly who doesn't seem to have much of a clue about anything really. It would
be easy to say it's their own stupid fault for taking it too seriously and
following a leader who puts his religious beliefs before the science he claimed
to be inspired by, but that was all part of the Marshy magic.

 I'm just glad I managed to keep a sane head through it all.

 And really you probably have no idea if rigorous exercise is better than just
taking a walk. Was MMY against walking as well?

 If the only exercise you get is carrying a flask of hot water around you are
asking for trouble in future. That's a fact.

 Seems to me that you can believe whatever crap you like about meditation and
enlightenment, it won't make it any more or less likely. You've got it or you
haven't I suspect.

 The reason you get attacked, Barry, is that you're so fucking nasty in sharing
your great wisdom with us. You make all kinds of gratuitously demeaning
assumptions about the TMers here, many if not most of which are simply not
true; and you consistently exalt yourself as superior. Plus which, many of your
"ideas" are shallow and poorly thought out, not to mention repeated over and
over and OVER again.

 You pretend to be doing all this to be helpful, but that's bullshit. You do it
because you get off on insulting people. You may have "earned the right" to
challenge ideas, but you haven't earned the right to dump on the people who
hold them.

 Here's the FFL dynamic, as I see it. I and a few others labeled as critics
make a few statements challenging the sense of elitism and entitlement and
"specialness" that TMers have been taught to feel about themselves. They react
*not* to the actual points we raise, but by attacking us personally, and trying
to "get" us. And by trying to encourage others to attack us, too. We challenge
*ideas*, and they try to attack *us*.

I am merely presenting alternative points of view on a number of subjects
relative to the world of meditation, self discovery, and pursuit of that crazy
thing some call enlightenment. They are in fact often my points of view,
although they are not always my *only* points of view on the subjects. I feel I
have *earned* these points of view on the basis of long experience with TM, the
TMO, with other spiritual traditions, and as the result of a lifetime's worth
of questioning pretty much *everything* and attempting to see it in new and
interesting ways.

I contend that trying to "shoot the messenger" rather than dealing with the
message itself is a pretty puny and lazy-ass way of presenting oneself as
"spiritual." If that's the only intellectual tool these TMers have in their
arsenal after all these decades of practice, it really doesn't say much about
the value of the TM technique and philosophy, does it?