I watched the full season of the recent STARZ series "Black Sails," also about
pirates, and wound up thinking more of it than I did the first episode of
"Crossbones." The writing of the latter seemed scattered, as if the writers
didn't really understand what their concept was. Malcovich was interesting in a
Gary-Oldman-like over-the-top way, but his character didn't grab me the way
that some of the characters in "Black Sails" did.

Plus, I was experiencing cognitive dissonance while watching it. The other male
lead is played by an English actor by the name of Richard Coyle, and he's
actually very good in his role. But part of me was cracking up laughing every
time I saw him, because I first "got to know him" as an actor on a comedy
series called "Coupling," in which he played Jeff, one of the most clueless
guy-hanging-around-in-a-bar characters ever captured on film. Every time he'd
be onscreen in "Crossbones," being all serious, I kept waiting for his mother
to come in from the wings and say in a hideously disappointed voice, "Oh
JEFFREY!"  :-)

The terror of the Melty Man - Coupling - BBC comedy

   The terror of the Melty Man - Coupling - BBC comedy
View on www.youtube.com Preview by Yahoo