Re my own message: "Can the Samyama technique be used in such a "magical" way
for personal aggrandisement or does its spiritual basis automatically nullify
any such attempt to pervert its aims?":

 No one responded to this but it's a genuine query. Can Samyama/sidhi
techniques not be expanded beyond the goals envisaged by Patanjali/MMY to
acquire other (more worldly) goods? Surely someone who learned the sidhis must
have wondered if the range could be extended or did you all just follow the
movement's program to the letter?

 Re "Gee, in my understanding, you get only one bija mantra when you're
initiated. The advanced techniques aren't new bija mantras, they're actual
Sanskrit words that you use with your original bija mantra.":

 Aha! As I never learned an "advanced technique" I see I've been referring to
the additional syllables as mantras whereas you are saying they are
dictionary-defined words (as opposed to those bijas which we were told were
"meaningless sounds whose effects are known").

 Here's another query you advanced graduates can enlighten me about: the sidhis
which MMY introduced were adapted from Patanjali's hints in his Yoga Sutras.
The basic idea I gather is that those TMers who've become accustomed to
bouncing blissfully in and out of pure consciousness introduce into their minds
a Sanskrit (or English?) phrase - a sutra - which activates the sidhi. So
introducing the English word "lightness" would have you bouncing and hopping.
 This is my question: the sidhis MMY taught were those Patanjali listed
(levitation/invisibility/ . . .) But if the theory is correct and the practice
works as advertised why stop there? Couldn't Barry use the Samyama technique
but introduce the phrase "babe magnet" . . . "babe magnet" . . . "babe magnet"
. . . and find local beauties queuing up at his door? (Hell, maybe he does!) No
one has seen anyone levitate; no one has (not) seen someone become invisible;
but we've all seen people who are sex symbols; we've all seen people who are
filthy rich; we've all seen people with political power; . . . Can the Samyama
technique be used in such a "magical" way for personal aggrandisement or does
its spiritual basis automatically nullify any such attempt to pervert its aims?

 Gee, in my understanding, you get only one bija mantra when you're initiated.
The advanced techniques aren't new bija mantras, they're actual Sanskrit words
that you use with your original bija mantra. Am I wrong? I have only one
advanced technique, and that was the case for me.

 Re Funny you should mention that.  On my TTC when MMY came to make us teachers
he also gave out advanced techniques.  On the flight back home folks were
running around asking "do you remember the mantra that MMY gave you for an
advanced technique?"  A number of people could not or were confused as to it's
pronunciation (including myself).

 Ha-ha! There are also stories of people (here on FFL) who reverted back to
their original bija mantras because they found the advanced technique mantra
didn't agree with them. (I bet there was no
money-back-if-not-completely-satisfied clause.)

          • ... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... emptyb...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... salyavin808