see comments below.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> meli >
>
> > Irmeli wrote in response to Peter:
> > <<Clearly it is futile to discuss these issues with you. With my
waking
> > state reality I just cannot comprehend you.>>
> >
> > ****
> > Such a shame - you each have so much to contribute. BTW, there
may be
> > a problem with the term "waking state" here. Irmeli appears to
be
> > using it to mean the state that the body/mind is in when it
arises
> > from sleep and goes about the activities of the day. Peter
appears to
> > be using it to mean the state that the body/mind is in before a
> > certain level of realization in the field of universal
consciousness.
> > After this, the body/mind still arises from sleep and goes about
the
> > activities of the day.
> >
> > anonX
> >

> I understand enlightenment to be a prevalent waking state
awareness.
> It depends on how we define enlightenment, what attributes this
> enlightened awareness has. This has been  my conceptual basic
> assumption. I have stated this in many posts earlier.
> Peter seems to be talking about something else. He has explained
> waking state and enlightenment to be two different things I have
> earlier asked him how he on daily basis manages to alternate
between
> waking state and enlightenment? But I have got no answer.
> Also many times earlier when I have commented on his "no I" posts
he
> has not bothered to respond to me.
>
> I have had very easy to relate to Ken Wilber's thinking and
> descriptions  and conceptual way of expressing himself  from the
very
> first moment I encountered his writings a few years ago. I mean I
can
> in his descriptions recognize my own subjective  reality,  but not
in
> Peter's descriptions.
>
> I just read from the newest issue of "What is Enlightenment" from
the
> Ken Wilber and Andrew Cohen Dialogue a  very good description that
> pretty well describes my own conscious inner reality.
>
> Quote:
> "Wilber: Moment to moment there is this ever-present is-ness, and
yet
> as soon as you locate yourself in it, there is an `I'.
> Cohen: Yes. The  minute you locate yourself, the whole world
appears.
> Wilber: Exactly. As soon as there is an `I', there is an it or an
> object, and then there is a `we'; there is some resonance with some
> other subjectivity someplace".
>
> Wilber explains also a little bit further in the text: "When you
are
> in a causal, or nondual, open-eyes, ever-present, non-effort
state, an
> I arises that is an authentic self."
>
> I hope this helps to clarify, what I have been trying to
communicate.

> Irmeli

****
Thank you Irmeli for your response. I have read a number of posts
from you since you first joined FFL. However, I go through long
periods of not reading FFL, so I am sure that I have missed many of
your contributions.

On the topic of "waking state" I think it is worthwhile to
understand that Peter uses that as a kind of jargon, or shorthand
for "pre-enlightened state". I suggest that, when reading what he
has to say, you make the substitution. Then you will not confuse
your understanding of "waking state" (which is the more common
usage) with his (which is Maharishi's usage).

If you follow this suggestion, you will have a new interpretation of
the conversations you have with him. For example, you wrote:

<<He has explained
> waking state and enlightenment to be two different things I have
> earlier asked him how he on daily basis manages to alternate
between waking state and enlightenment?>>

His part of this would translate as:

"He has explained that the pre-enlightened state and enlightenment
are two different things."

Then you would see that your question which followed isn't actually
addressing what he had to say.

Once getting past the confusion of terminology, it starts to get
interesting to see the similarities and differences in how each of
you define "enlightenment".

Regarding the "no I" concept, if you have an interest to understand
it better, there are some very articulate attempts to describe this
experience, coming from people who had no predisposition to expect
it, based on their own traditions. These have been mentioned before
on FFL:

Collision With the Infinite, by Suzanne Siegal
The Experience of No-Self, by Bernadette Roberts

In the latter, there a thorough attempt to define what is meant by
self. Such a definition is often missing from discussions of no-
self, no-ego etc. Other writings by Bernadette Roberts go into this
more thoroughly, such as the book "What is Self?".

I mention this because you seem to have a curious mind, willing to
entertain notions outside of your own. You may find it worthwhile to
explore these authors.

I don't know if this will make any difference to your and Peter's
ongoing failure to communicate with each other, even though you
intend to. :)