Barry,

 All human beings are unique and important individually.   But if someone does
violate another person's rights, it is likely that he or she would be violating
others as well.  Isn't that what Big Brother is all about?

 I was watching a panel discussion on ubiquitous computing - the chip in the
toaster, etc., and the vast, interconnected networks that are resulting from
that. I have also been watching all the breakthroughs in optical tech,
self-driving cars, and autonomous robots. Current civilian drones are now
capable of tracking every human being and vehicle, inside a five square mile
box, even within a city. No doubt the military can exceed that coverage.

What I've never understood is why people who are so unimportant that they
couldn't possibly be of interest to anyone, much less a government, are so
paranoid about people "snooping on them." Sure sounds like an overdose of
self-importance to me.  :-)