From: "lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

Heh. The best children's growing up story I have seen on TV is Hikaru no Go,
based on a comic.

In Japan, approximately 30% of all books sold are in comic form, so the genre
tends to attract a much higher level of wrier than in teh West. It's considered
a first class medium for expression there, and some of the most innovative
writers and artists experiment in many ways with telling stories using it. All
but the product-placement comics and cartoons tend to show layers of meaning
and humor that are beyond all but the most sophisticated of English novels, in
my experience.

I will allow you to believe this, based on -- as you say -- your experience.
The average novel contains 64,000 words; the average comic book about 3,000.  I
contend that the art form known as comic books is a remedial storytelling form
designed for
people with ADHD or who are not comfortable with or capable of reading anything
longer.

In the West, there's only a handful of world-class  comic book writers, but
they're. well, world class. The two that come to mind immediately are Neil
Gammon, whose reinterpretation of a minor DC character (_The Sandman_) earned
him a World Fantasy Award for best fantasy short story, and launched his
mainstream career (I was there when Harlan Ellison, who was in charge of eh
awards committee, caught Gaimon's eye and exclaimed "really good work, man,"
strongly hinting that Gaimmon had a lock on the award).

Meanwhile, neither Neil Gaiman nor Harlan Ellison would ever be considered
"world class writers" by most people who read outside the SciFi/Fantasy genre.
They're both "big frog in a small pond" type writers -- excellent at what they
do within a very, very, very limited field, but (so far) incapable of expanding
beyond that field.

I shall allow you to rant below, but won't bother to read it. I stand by my
original assertion (or what I meant to imply by what I originally said) -- that
IMO those who feel the need to characterize comic books as high art are for the
most part delayed adolescents clinging to impressions made on them by these
comics when they were young. They either haven't grown up or haven't moved on
to discover more interesting and challenging art forms after having grown up.

If you like them, cool. But don't try to convince those of us who actually have
the attention span to read an actual novel that comic books are anything other
than...uh...comic books. Your attention span may define what you are
comfortably able to read and enjoy, but many of the rest of us don't have that
limitation.

Please try to bear in mind what *most people in the world* think when they see
grown men and women at comic book conventions. That is, they look at these
people and see a bunch of people obsessing over something that most people left
behind when they turned 15. The more these people rant about how important the
genre is, the more they are perceived as obsessive delayed adolescents. And in
my opinion, rightly.

They're COMIC BOOKS, Lawson. People used to obsess over Beanie Babies and
collect them as if they were art, too...but that didn't make them art. Possibly
the only thing more embarrassing than trying to convince others that TM is
"Important, damnit!" is trying to do the same thing with comic books.  :-)

The other world-class comic that comes to mind immediately is _Maus_, which won
a Pulitzer Prize. Have you  ever won a Pulitzer, Unc?

Even more mainstream comics can be very sophisticated. The various
interpretations of Batman, such as The Dark Knight Returns have been the
inspiration for the popular movie franchise. Superman, Spiderman, etc., all are
stories geared towards kids originally, but they have endured so long that
their stories have been rebooted many times to appeal to new generations. The
most recent incarnations of most superhero stories are written by people who
are catering not only to kids, but to collectors who are easily 10-30 years
older, and often quite well educated. The issues of alcoholism were explored in
detail in the famous Ironman story arc, Demon in a Bottle, which was quite true
to life, from my perspective as an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

Even early Marvel and DC stories enjoyed exploring unusual themes. The concept
of a multiverse was explored in Marvel comics back in the 60's and 70's, and
the philosophical, spiritual and religious implications of such concepts were
explored in detail in the context of the adventures of the various superheroes.
I still remember, 40+ years later, the story of Dr Strange encountering the
magician who was traveling back in time, stealing mystical energy from every
possible source, with the intent to go back to the First Instant and "do things
right" this time. By the time he arrived at the Beginning of Time, he was
essentially God, knowing everything at all times in all spaces, and he roared
"Finally!"... and then laughed and said, "Oh of course, how silly of Me.... Let
there be light." and all was as it always was.

I used to date an older woman whose job was to draw the illustrations for the
old sewing pattern packets you find at fabric stores. She always spoke
admiringly of the expertise of the "joke book artists" who could render an
entire fight scene from any angle, in perfect perspective, without using a
model of any kind.

Your ignorance about the genre is astounding, given your pride in being a
writer.

From: "LEnglish5@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

Hey, the original THor character was banished to Earth in human form and
condemned to a mortal life as a crippled doctor until he proved that he was
worthy, so being deemed unworthy is nothing new.

In a more recent (still 20+ years ago I think) storyline, Thor's hammer was
wield for a while by an alien named Betaray Bill, who was so worthy of the
hammer that even after Thor recovered it, Oden gave Bill his own hammer of
comparable power, so that he could fight the good fight amongst the Alien Stars.

I believe that there was a time when Lady Sith was wielding Thor's hammer, at
least for a little while.

The reporter simply doesn't know the Marvel Universe all that well.

It could also be that the reporter actually has a life.  :-)

thought the reporter had a point -- few things would get these delayed
adolescent fanboys' knickers in a twist more than the thought of the
Mighty Thor's penis substitute being wielded by a...spit...woman.  :-)

Seriously -- and *including* Joss Whedon in this rant -- I've never understood
grown people who fixate on comic book characters.

They're COMIC BOOKS, people. The writing sucks, the characterizations are as
two-dimensional as the paper they're printed on, and the types of things they
think about and fight over are at best the kinds of fantasies obsessed on by
adolescent boys.
I look upon Joss Whedon's obsession with Marvel characters as an embarrassing
failing in an otherwise worthy career. I overlook it because he occasionally
writes plots and characters that are more adult-oriented and interesting. I
hope he gets over this Marvel stuff soon and gets back to writing more
interesting material.  :-)  :-)  :-)

I seem to remember (although the shitty Neo search function can't find it) that
Edg once waxed eloquent about how Marvel's Thor character was the only
superhero worth admiring. Well, bad news, Edg. Thor's been a Bad Boy, so he's
been brushed aside -- fired. And worse, his mighty hammer will be wielded by a
WOMAN. There is fear and trembling among the diehard male chauvinists in Asgard
tonight. :-)

Marvel’s Thor is Now a Woman

Marvel’s Thor is Now a Woman
In news that will probably baffle comic book fans and normal people alike, it
was revealed that Thor (yes, the Avenger) is no longer worthy of his title and
will be...
View on screencrush.com Preview by Yahoo

 I look upon Joss Whedon's obsession with Marvel characters as an embarrassing
failing in an otherwise worthy career. I overlook it because he occasionally
writes plots and characters that are more adult-oriented. I hope he'll get over
this Marvel stuff soon and get back to writing more interesting stuff.  :-)
:-)  :-)