Things that are generally false don't tend to get passed down throughout history. Astrology is NOT one of those things, however. It tends to ring true when properly practiced and science is at a loss to understand why though there is little funding for research into that. I go with the theory that the planets were really used as time markers not for their influence. Only the Sun and Moon have much influence on our lives. And since they couldn't see Neptune and Uranus they couldn't have used them as broader time markers.

There was some research a few years ago about the time of day a child is born as well as the time of year. Here I believe that children are like blank slates and out of the womb begin taking in the world which influences their personality as they grow. Their surroundings will also influence their destiny and what obstacles they will find in life. The time of day a child was born would be noted in ancient time by the constellation as a time marker.

I couple year's back I read an interesting blog article from an astrologer who found that beginner astrologers sometimes made better predictions than experienced ones. Beginners may rely more on intuition than the rules that seasoned astrologer use. Again an abstract art and sometimes a basic glance may be more correct than taking "all things into consideration." Otherwise you can get into rules that "this cancels that" when maybe it never did work that way.

On 08/04/2014 12:10 PM, Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
Feste, I am not asking you to be too personal, but I am curious as to what kinds of things you gained from your readings. The ones I had done, particularly the last one by Brent BeVar certainly explained a lot of things IF I was willing to buy into the entire matrix of belief that said for example that it would have been impossible for me to have any money for a 16 year period due to my moon being in the house of the guru which is also supposedly the house of loss and expenditure. So great for spiritual endeavors, but bad for money. This coincided with the period that I was at MIU and the period just after, when I got into channeling.

So how can you or did you use the chart to understand self better?

*From:* feste37 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Monday, August 4, 2014 1:50 PM
*Subject:* [FairfieldLife] Re: Why astrology is rubbish.

The last thing I need to do is get more scientific! I was speaking of my own experience, which is much more reliable. It is that that convinced me of the validity of astrology. As I mentioned, I am not much interested in astrology as a predictor of the future. To me, it is a tool for self-understanding. You seem to think that anyone who accepts astrology is a gullible fool, but that is not so. You remind me a little of the intellectual who likes to tell everyone that God does not exist, and they are fools to believe in him. But those who have had the experience of God will just smile at the limitations of the rational intellect. And the intellectual will never understand the puny limits of his own small brain.

You must have seen some very bad astrologers to have got this cynical about it.

Actually it's the poor quality of astrologers that made me SKEPTICAL about it. If I was cynical I wouldn't have bothered in the first place but everyone loved the guy I saw and he was Marshy's favourite, sent by head office. He was crap and no more convincing about anything than a seaside conjuror doing cold-reading on gullible old ladies.

It was the fact I had an open mind that likes asking questions that got me realising he was bullshitting everyone. I have absolutely no doubt you would have thought he was great, he had a thing painted on his head and needed an interpreter! Talk about the real deal Indian faker...made for credulous westerners.

I have had five professional astrological readings over the last 34 years. They were all excellent. Nothing vague about any of them. Precise, detailed, accurate (except for some of the predictions for the future, although some were spot-on).

You need to get scientific about this. Of course some predictions will be spot on and some not, it's a random process! You've just looked at the good ones and thought there must be something to it while downplaying the enormous significance of the wrong ones.

As I point out in my post, if a prediction doesn't come true then all future predictions will be increasingly inaccurate or be increasingly vague to have to take into account all possible contradictions in the earlier reading being both wrong and right.

And how can the planets be wrong anyway! One day I'll sit down and write down how the maths doesn't work and the absurdity of the birth chart and it's place in personal and world history. Might make a good book....

Very enlightening. These readings helped me enormously in understanding myself. I suspect you will never get anything from astrology because a cynic has a closed mind and is incapable of learning.

Someone with a bad teacher is limited in what he can learn. The limit here is whether I accept on faith what I'm told or not. I try not to believe things without having a think first, in fact it was me who spotted that jyotish doesn't use all the planets in the solar system because the more distant ones weren't known to the ancients. What sort of science is that if it can't adapt to new knowledge? The trouble is that if it did adapt it would have to admit that it was wrong in the first place. That's a major difference between science and religion, one is fallible and can therefore change and improve, The other is set in scripture handed down from on high and we aren't worthy of criticising it.

Why don't you just try using the natal chart for self-understanding?

Because there's nothing a bunch of lifeless and distant planets can tell me about me that I don't already know.

Have you ever tried it?

Well obviously, what did you think this post was about? Maybe you're a stranger to yourself, maybe you get some personal confirmation in being told you are a nice guy with emotional depth or other such vaguenesses. How many times has the experiment of giving a bunch of people the same reading and them all agreeing it's a close match got to be done before people realise that they are seeing what they want to in horoscopes?

There is nothing so bold as ignorance.

This week saw the end of the period that a jyotishee told me that I would win a lot of money. It didn't happen. That isn't the surprising bit to me - it's a chance game really, look at the odds of winning the premium bonds or the lottery and divide it between the number of years you are likely to live and the likelihood becomes obvious. But it would have been an interesting demonstration of super powers.

No, the reason I think astrology must be rubbish is that within the promise of me winning there has to be a change in how all future horoscopes are drawn up from my birth chart. For instance, if I suddenly acquired millions of pounds would I live in the same house or buy a yatch and moor it in some secluded harbour in Italy? I think we all know the answer to that, so any future predictions must take into account the sort of lifestyle problems or advances I would have to endure with my many houses and supermodel girlfriends etc.

Here's the problem, the future stretches in front of us like a cone of possibilities, today there are several things I could do and tomorrow there are many more options precisely because of the options from today multiply with increased options of thier own tomorrow. And so on exponentially. The trouble for astrology is that winning a lot of money or not will have a large impact on the direction of my future cone of possibilities. It collapses a waveform for my future life that hasn't happened. So if my horoscope continues to make predictions on its apparent assumption that I'm now a multi-millionaire there are going to be discrepancies between prediction and events. For instance, I'm going to buy a new pair of shoes this week, if there was a parallel universe with me as a rich man I would have some made for me, probably at some legendary cobblers in Milan (they probably don't call them that there though).

The longer it goes on the worse it gets. If any prediction made by an astrologer fails to come true then at some point you'll be scratching your head when Mystic Meg says that the dinner with royalty would be a good time to show off you new watch when you're sitting at home warming beans over a candle.

I know it all sounds like it could be squeezed into mere trends but they do stack up, astrology's only hope at retaining credibility in the long term is to keep it vague enough that all options sound like they were being predicted. This might work with shoes or where to have dinner but what about the choice of kings or presidents, or advances in science or banking? This must be why everyone is always so cagey about specifics. Do we know deep down that future predictions will be seen as clearly malfunctioning if the cone of possibilities predicts a left wing president and someone looks further into the future and sees that the poor are being shovelled into furnaces to heat Wall st? We can't have both realities so maybe that's why no one ever goes on record with anything definite, apart from my guy and because of it I'm going to have to endure inaccurate predictions forever, there really isn't any way it could make sense for me now without someone explaining how they fooled reality.

So before a prediction is made - this is a quantum world after all - nothing is set and all future possibilities are equally likely until something happens and the waveform collapses (the chart being drawn is a good example) and decides the future direction of the next set of possibilities. Winning money is a chance event so predicting it decides the outcome only if the predictive technology is a one way street into the future. And it clearly isn't or I'd be on a beach in the eastern mediterranean already.

I rest my case...