> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Here are annual % change figures for DC violent crimes (and per
> > 100,000 pop figures). Its interesting to see the big swings. This
> > underscores the fact that there are probably a number of factors
> > driving crime levels. If these are not controlled in the analysis,
> > short term swings, annual, but most certainly 8 week periods, can be
> > due to factors totally unrelated to the "intervention".
> >
> > Also, note that in 1992, the year preceeding the study, there was
> over
> > a 15% increase in crime. The year before was almost 0. So there
> seems
> > to be some snapback effect, high levels may cause more police
> > crackdowns, higher funding levels etc the following year.
> >
> > The Me study "indicated" a 25% drop in crime over 8 weeks. This by
> > itself should amount to about a 4% decrease in the annual rate. But
> it
> > went up 3%. But the next year with no ME effect, crime decreased
> over
> > 8%. Though having weekly figures would be best, even with annual
> > numbers a 4% impact should be discernble.
> >

> Geeze, Akasha, you just supported the ME while trying to discredit it.
>
> If the ME hadn't been in effect to cause a 4% decrease (according to
> you) in annual crime concentrated during the Summer months, the
> annual rate icnrease would have been 7%, which is comparable to the
> next year's 8 percent.

Why do you feel that I am trying to discredit the ME study?I am simply
trying to understand what was done, and am beginning to do my own
analysis to explore the effect. I am not seeking any end result, i am
not trying to prove or disprove anything. I am trying to see if there
is such an effect. Via past studies, and via new analysis.

btw, I don't really buy your arguments  above of % changes, but we.