--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Here are annual % change figures for DC violent crimes (and per
> > > 100,000 pop figures). Its interesting to see the big swings.
This
> > > underscores the fact that there are probably a number of factors
> > > driving crime levels. If these are not controlled in the
analysis,
> > > short term swings, annual, but most certainly 8 week periods,
can be
> > > due to factors totally unrelated to the "intervention".
> >
> > It's my impression that controlling for these factors
> > was precisely what the researchers were attempting to
> > do with their statistical methodology.
>
> I wish their data was available -- to see what they actually tested
> for and the interval of the data (annual / weekly, etc).
>
> The problem is a lot of important variables totest for in this
regard
> are usually available in annual not monthly or weekly form. Maybe
> weekly was available a decade + ago but its hard to find now. For
> instance, even the FBI crime data is available weekly only back to
> 1995 (through them).

They used the FBI Uniform Crime Statistics data of that period, which
WAS in in weekly form. Are you sure its not still?

And deomgraphic and economic variables are often
> only available in annual form. And most available weather data is
> averaged over 20-40 years to give typical days. But for this
analysis,
> the actual annual and monthly time series are required.

WEekly and monthly, I would think, not annual, unless you're talking
about comparing similar sub-annual periods year-over-year...

> While I know you have a distaste for speculation, it would appear,
per
> my prior post outlining the four or more model specifications they
> used -- per the summary, that the subordinate analysis ("model 4" in
> my note), they may have been stuck with only annual data for this
> larger set of deomgraphic, economic and LE control variables. And
> thats why they did the analysis in two stages. Weekly short term
data
> for the ME effect and weather only. And annual data for some testing
> of long term trends using the larger set of control variables.
>
> The problem is, this is a quite weak approach. It means that in
> primary analysis (and this is NOT speculation, its what they did),
> there were no control variables other than weather, and ME, to
explain
> the variation crime. While the individual variables may have had
high
> significance (t values), the overall fit of the model may have been,
> actually must have been marginal.  As anyone can see from the annual
> data, there is too much other stuff going on to be explained just by
> weather.
>
> Regardless, that is the issue I am faced with in trying to collect
> data to do an independent analysis. But as I stated in prior post,
if
> there was an ME, it should show up in annual data. And the district
> data. And using annual data, a unified model can control for all
> variables in the same specification. If they were not able to do
this
> in the primary model, and the summary appears pretty clear that they
> were not, it greatly weakens the results.
>
> I am less and less interested in what they did, and more interested
in
> creating a dataset to redo the analysis, perhaps in a richer and
more
> defensible way than they did -- using a unified model and accounting
> for economic, demographic and LE control variables that they did not
> -- and over a longer time period. The core model needs to "explain"
or
> account for most of the variation in the crime rate in the longer
time
> period, before it can hope to account for the ME effect in 1993.
Again