I believe he said "We are against it" (not to say that he did not also say your
quote).

 I've read both, meaning the the same but "against" perhaps wittier

 You are right, Seerdope, that's how I remember it, and as you say, it was a
very clever and witty answer. Typical of MMY. He had a great sense of humor and
loved to play with words.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <seerdope@...> wrote :

 I believe he said "We are against it" (not to say that he did not also say
your quote).

 Being "against it" to me is far richer in meaning, funnier, and to me
characterizes his style of communication.  He spoke with different levels of
meaning, with double (and triple) entendre (not sexual in instances that I
heard).  His quip was funny, decoupling his words  from esoteria suitable for
their focus on modern educated audiences, yet still conveying (what I believe)
he meant.

 Being against it means he was promoting a method (in his mind) that made
reincarnation unnecessary.  If asked if he believed in the existance any
curable disease, a witty doctor might say the same.

 This is instructive (to me) -- a message that his, and any teacher's words
need to be carefully parsed, not over generalized, viewed in its specific
context and for what audience, don't assume its the full teach or truth being
conveyed, and most importantly, loosen up, let your sense of humor blossom
(more).

 His is I believe the traditional view that the seeds of reincarnation (the
vast mountain of karma -- both the small chunk bitten off in this life
(prarabdha karma) as well as the remainder of the huge yet to be dealt with
(sanchita karma) are burned by the fires of knowledge (from Gita).

 (And personally I do not count anything M said as authoritative. Nor that of
(much) of any teacher or source of knowledge (or words). But for me, he did
provide some useful starting points for personal investigation and validation.)

 Quick aside: paraphrasing an early day's conversation:
 M: we all have a mountain of karma.
 CLutes (apparently believing he was quite far along on the path): "M, do I
have a mountain of karma?"
 M: "You Charlie have more like a huge mountain range."

 What are the fires of knowledge? A number of possibilities, not necessarily
mutually exclusive:
 understanding and knowledge,
 transcending,
 kundalini rising and burning all latent samskaras in the chakras, culminating
in the blooming of the crown chakra,
 grace of a fully realized teacher,
 grace of the divine
 other stuff

 And does "no reincarnation" mean no more individuality after the body drops?

 (And my position is at least sympathetic with uber atheist Sam Harris who said
in a funny quip, at a conference on death ( or something) with speakers across
a full spectrum of views, paraphrasing "The key thing is we will all dance
around the question and weave greatly nuanced and intricate answers, but the
bottom line is none of us know what really happens when the physical body
dies."

 Reincarnation in human form does not preclude continuation of inner evolution
in many astral and causal planes (Autobio of Yogi has good discussion of this).

 And is Moksha / Liberation (that is, all Sanchita Karma (the whole range, the
big enchilada) is burned / roasted)  the same as "enlightenment"?  I suggest
Liberation is the ultimate real thing, with a clear criteria. Enlightenment, at
what ever stage, not so much. That is not to discount the freedom and
contentment of any such stages and states.

              • ... danfriedman2002
      • Re: [F... danfriedman2002
        • Re... wgm4u
          • ... lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]