Great story. I think that is why I have gravitated toward groups of teaching
artists in the last 7 years. They not only can perform or create art, but they
enjoy discussing it. It is like they have both sides of their brain hooked up.
I'm sure you have been around musicians with such an anti-intellectual bias it
is uncomfortable to talk with them, even after performing with them. I guess
jazz guys might be more intellectual, but for the most part blues guys are
often suspicious of people who read too many books!

Being able to present to people is skill that opens up so many doors. I also
had a public speaking course in high school and it was a game changer for my
whole life, in and out of he movement.

 For almost the same reason I had to play emcee for some of the groups I played
in during the 1980s because the other musicians weren't good at it.  But I was
the first person to pass the intro lecture part of TTC.  One of the course
leaders asked how I got to such an advanced state and that was because
(apparently like no one else there) had a public speaking class in high school.
 That class was great fun.  I gave a talk on capital punishment and brought in
one of my cymbals and hit it to open the talk as the class was gabbing amongst
themselves.  Then I opened with "if you think that was shocking" and went into
descriptions of different methods of capital punishment including the popular
Indian one of having an elephant stomp on the prisoner's head.

 On 10/28/2014 06:33 PM, curtisdeltablues@... mailto:curtisdeltablues@...