My apple tree didn't produce much the last two years. Not much of a worry as they are green apples (very sour) and it is really a huge pain to raise organic apples. Basically you put out sticky traps for the coddling moths who like to lay their eggs on the buds. If you are a little late about getting those traps in February the nurseries run out. But those traps cost $18 and I get more organic apples out of $18 worth at Trader Joes. Go figure.

Another trick is to spray the tree with orange spray. The bugs think it is a orange tree and stay away (except for bees). I have a lemon tree which is no problem whatsoever as long as I can get my non English speaking gardener to prune it once a year. The prior gardener went back to Peru for health care and I didn't have to remind him.

I do notice the bee populations around here is down quite a bit. Probably way down from when John Muir had this lot as part of his orchard.

On 11/06/2014 05:53 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

salyavin, me not being able to resist in turn: it's all sap: me, you, the car, the bees, the deck... I've come to love bees too though don't eat honey cuz I'm too pitta. Actually I like a lot of insects. Yesterday a friend & I walked by the reservoir and saw 2 of those orange and black furry caterpillars. Too cute! I blew kisses (-:

I only saw one wasp this summer. What's up with that? Used to be millions of them, I got attacked by a swarm of them once. I forgave them though as I did accidentally stick a pitchfork through their nest!

But I do worry about what we're doing to this world, the destruction is all happening too fast and it never makes the headlines. They might mention global warming as something we've got to do something about but it's also the smaller aspects of the environment we ignore at our peril. It'll be a lonely old world soon if we aren't careful...

*From:* salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:46 AM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] 37 Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO Corn Field

Nabby, this is pretty horrifying. I forget about this because there seems to be no bee problem in FF. Bees around the front deck to my house. Bees around my car when I come out of the Dome. I think they like the sap on my car (-:

Maybe they like the sap in your car? (Couldn't resist ;-))

But the loss of bees would be a disaster of unimaginable proportions, 70% of crop types depend on them for pollination.

Would we starve without bees? <http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zg4dwmn>

image <http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zg4dwmn>

Would we starve without bees? <http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zg4dwmn>
Honey bees are under threat, and as pollination significantly contributes to the food we eat, what would we do without them?

View on www.bbc.co.uk <http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zg4dwmn>

Preview by Yahoo

But apart from anything else they are really cool critters and it's a crying shame we are wiping them out. Honey is one of my favourite things too.