 My apple tree didn't produce much the last two years.  Not much of a worry as
they are green apples (very sour) and it is really a huge pain to raise organic
apples.  Basically you put out sticky traps for the coddling moths who like to
lay their eggs on the buds.  If you are a little late about getting those traps
in February the nurseries run out.  But those traps cost $18 and I get more
organic apples out of $18 worth at Trader Joes.  Go figure.

 Another trick is to spray the tree with orange spray.  The bugs think it is a
orange tree and stay away (except for bees).  I have a lemon tree which is no
problem whatsoever as long as I can get my non English speaking gardener to
prune it once a year.  The prior gardener went back to Peru for health care and
I didn't have to remind him.

 I do notice the bee populations around here is down quite a bit.  Probably way
down from when John Muir had this lot as part of his orchard.

 Interesting. We have an orchard on about a half of an acre that is a left over
from the previous owners. We do nothing with the trees on this part of the
property so I guess it could be called organic fruit. There are peach trees,
blackberries, about four kinds of pears and at leasts 6 types of heritage
apples as well as figs and some sort of green grape as well as the most
heavenly golden plums (which we do gorge ourselves on). This all goes to the
rats and deer and some to the horses when we bother to gather wheel barrow
loads of apples. There is tons of fruit produced most  years and it falls off
the trees. No bother at all and all growing, ripening and falling to the ground
all on its own.