"So where do the esoteric experiences you have described from meditation come
from if not from the Absolute?"

To quote Maharishi defending his call to study meditation using scientific
apparatus:

 "Every experience has its level of physiology, and so unbounded awareness has
its own level of physiology which can be measured. Every aspect of life is
integrated and connected with every other phase. When we talk of scientific
measurements, it does not take away from the spiritual experience. We are not
responsible for those times when spiritual experience was thought of as
metaphysical. Everything is physical. Consciousness is the product of the
functioning of the brain. Talking of scientific measurements is no damage to
that wholeness of life which is present everywhere and which begins to be lived
when the physiology is taking on a particular form. This is our understanding
about spirituality: it is not on the level of faith --it is on the level of
blood and bone and flesh and activity. It is measurable."

 The relevant part is: wholeness of life which is present everywhere and which
begins to be lived when the physiology is taking on a particular form.

 Maharishi assumes that "wholeness" (Brahm?) exists and our nervous system can
change in ways that enable us to appreciate it.

 You can assert that the wholeness doesn't really exist and that the changes in
the nervous system are solely responsible for the perception of the
non-existent thing.

 That might be the case, but if those changes are useful in and of themselves,
does it matter?

 The behavioral improvements shown by the vast majority of inmates in Senegal
who learned TM meant it was of value to the prison system and hopefully to the
inmates, even if the mullahs eventually ruled against it.

 Likewise, the new research on genetic expression that was done at MUM by
Wenuganen Supaya for his doctoral thesis is very exciting. If it is confirmed
by longitudental studies that TM practice really does change teh expression of
the 74 genes in beneficial ways that he found in long-term TMers vs non-TMing
controls of the same age, this could be very exciting.

 Such changes are part of the progression towards the ability to appreciate
wholeness. It might be that you can evoke those behavioral and genetic changes
without enhancing the ability to perceive wholeness, and perhaps in the future,
people will opt for that, instead, but if a single technique, or a group of
related techniques, can bring about such changes, as part of the process of
growing to appreciate wholeness, it doesn't seem that bad a deal to practice
them, even if the side-effect, growth in "appreciation of wholeness," is merely
an illusion.

 So where do the esoteric experiences you have described from meditation come
from if not from the Absolute?

 From my head. My head creates my experience of the world outside and
meditation changes how the different parts of the brain communicates so that my
subjective world alters too. I think. It's either that or some mystical thing
that is beyond our understanding. So I stick with materialism until proved
otherwise because we know our brains are running the show and we've no reason
to suspect there is need of any other forces to create consciousness. While it
remains poorly understood there will always be wiggle room for people to sneak
in ideas that make it seem more than it is.

 In addition I am watching Hammond talk about seeing Marshy - this guy was
hallucinating and that's about it.

 I felt a bit sorry for him after a while. But he lives in an exciting world, I
never get to speak with God....

 How was the Mockingjay movie?