On Nov 21, 2005, at 9:00 AM, authfriend wrote:

It's something you would have to experience, it's just the best

way to describe it.

Seems to me what Lawson is pointing out is that

"spontaneous paralysis" in the context of samadhi

(pure transcendental consciousness, or turiya)

doesn't make any sense.  The instant one *tries*

to move, one is no longer in that state.

That's sad. So much for dyeing the cloth. IMO many have been conditioned to believe that TM leads to "pure transcendental consciousness, or turiya".

In other words, that one's muscles don't move in

samadhi is a function of having no intention to

move (or any other intention).  There's no way to

establish paralysis in turiya because there's no

way to test it.

You're describing something different. Sounds like you're describing samapatti (mental absorption into mantra).

Experientially the sensation of paralysis is quite clear.

You seem to be assuming that people cannot consciously enter samadhi--or the particular state where this paralysis occurs.

There may be something to what you say, but you

haven't described it well enough to avoid self-

contradiction.

 It is first perfect in various parts of the body. There

are documented stories of students in the US who have perfected

this to the point of  being able to have minor surgery with very

little local anesthesia. The other sign is prolonged suspension

of breathing.

Documentation in peer-reviewed journals?

Actually what I had seen was a signed letter from the physician

who performed the surgery written to the teacher/guru himself.

Paralysis and anesthesia are two different

phenomena. One can be paralyzed without being

anesthetized, and certainly locally anesthetized

without being paralyzed.

Further, *I've* had minor surgery with very little

local anesthesia, without any meditative component.

These terms are far too relative, depending on far

too many individual factors, to be meaningful as

you've described the situation.

Again, there may be something to what you say, but

you haven't presented it in a way that establishes

anything.

In the case I was discussing it was a painful form of nasal surgery . Thus the physician's letter and amazement.