 What interests FFLifers? (That's not a rhetorical question.) When I started
this thread yesterday I smiled to myself thinking that I had lit the blue touch
paper and now all I had to do was sit back and watch the fireworks fly! I
imagined the angry exchanges between those who were appalled by the decision of
Sony to pull the film The Interview and those who defended the corporation
citing concerns about public safety as being paramount. But apart from a quip
from Bhairitu no one rose to the bait. Yet we're talking freedom of expression
here. The First Amendment. Go figure.

 I guess you've learned something. Not everyone reads every post and has the
time to respond even if they are interested in the subject.

 The trick is not to take it personally.

 I'm always ranting about the loss of freedom - especially in the UK- that the
threat of terrorism has caused. The bad guys have won and the laws introduced
have been abused in all sorts of ways to control dissent and free speech even
among mere environmental campaigners.

 Anyway, the plot thickens. From the newspapers:

 "Screenings of Team America: World Police have been cancelled in the wake of
the Sony hacking scandal.

 After Sony decided not to release The Interview following threats from North
Korean-linked hackers, three US cinemas had chosen to replace it with the Team
America: World Police movie. While The Interview centred on a plot to
assassinate Kim Jong-un, in Team America puppets were used to mock his father
Kim jong-il. It was first released in 2004. The three cinemas now report that
Team America has been pulled by Paramount Pictures, the studio that released
it.

 One of them, the Alamo Drafthouse cinema in Texas, had advertised a Dec 27th
showing as a way of supporting freedom of speech. The cinema was to be decked
out with American flags and tickets and had quickly sold out. Promoting the
event, the cinema said: "That is how true American heroes will be celebrating
this year, but if you want to let the terrorists win ... well, that's your
prerogative." However, a spokesman for the cinema later said: "We can confirm
that the screening of Team America in Dallas was cancelled as the film was
pulled from release. We are issuing refunds to those that purchased tickets."

 A spokesman for Paramount Pictures declined to comment. Two other cinemas in
Cleveland and Atlanta also said they had been prevented from showing Team
America. When the film came out in 2004 North Korea called for it to be banned."

 Too much appeasement going on for my liking.

 Way too much. Team America is a classic movie and I'm sick of vested interests
framing the debate because of their oversensitivity. There should be more
light-hearted attacks on politics and religious belief otherwise they might get
the idea they are special and beyond criticism. Remember when Blair tried to
ban religious jokes in case someone got offended? God help us. Ironically.