Love the photo.  Damn, that creates an aesthetically driven emotion in me!

 Re: James Joyce, one of my high school classes was given A Portrait of the
Artist as a Young Man to read and write a paper on - God, I struggled.

 Recently read an excerpt from the story "The Dead" in Dubliners, and here is a
passage:

 "He watched her while she slept, as though he and she had never lived together
as man and wife.  His curious eyes rested long upon her face and on her hair:
and, as he thought of what she must have been then, in that time of her first
girlish beauty, a strange, friendly pity for her entered his soul.   He did not
 like to say even to himself that her face was no longer beautiful, but he knew
that it was no longer the face for which Michael Furey had braved death."

 Of course, the face below is one to brave death for and her writing is
sublime, and that is certainly what Mr. Woolf thought also, I am guessing.

 I love Virginia Woolf. (She's far more readable than her modernist rival James
Joyce. I recall she wasn't that taken with Ulysses. Me neither.)   Even the
name rocks: "Virginia" - suggesting virginal innocence; and "Woolf" -
suggesting the untamed, wild canine. Nice combo.

 In July 1902 she sat for a series of photos. Something magical in the
combination of the ambient light, her contemplative mood, the balance of
chemicals used in the plate, . . ., made the image one of the most beautiful
portraits ever captured. Eat your heart out Katherine Mansfield.

 She wrote an essay called "Am I a Snob?" trying to clear herself of the
charge. But, of course, she was a snob. That's part of her appeal. And to be a
snob must feature quite low on the list of vices - we probably need some snobs
to remind us peasants of our place!

 If you enjoyed Orlando you should enjoy the film version starring Tilda
Swinton. It follows the book quite closely.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MorOaD61KUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MorOaD61KUI