Thank you for these...love them all...sent me right into contemplative ecstasy.
:)  Sent me also right over to the bookcase to search for Virginia Woolf,
hoping I had her, but no, perhaps packed away in the garage.  I will save
these.

 Instead I found a much less poetic, but quite conversational book by W.
Somerset Maugham (c. 1963) entitled "The Summing Up" and also from the
modernist era?  An OBOM for sure. I'm guessing you've read him.  One can
imagine sitting across from W. Somerset Maugham and listening to him expound
for hours - staying silent and perhaps dropping off into a momentary doze once
in awhile or alternatively, enraptured, either state of which he would not
notice, being so heavily involved in stating his points to the best level of
eloquence that he could muster. He discusses whether Truth, Beauty, and
Goodness (as the three most worthy values carried down from the wisdom of the
ages) could, perhaps, serve to allay the problem of the "meaningless of life."

 "The egoism of man makes him unwilling to accept the meaninglessness of life,
and when he has unhappily found himself no longer able to believe in a higher
power whose ends he could flatter himself that he subserved he has sought to
give it significance by constructing certain values beyond those that seem to
further his immediate welfare....."

 Regarding Beauty, he gives this as his reaction to "a great work of art"
(Titian's Entombment in the Louvre or the quintet in the Meistersinger ):

 "It is an excitement that gives me a sense of exhilaration, intellectual but
suffused with sensuality, a feeling of well-being in which I seem to discern a
sense of power and of liberation from human ties; at the same time I feel in
myself a tenderness which is rich with human sympathy; I feel rested, at peace,
and yet spiritually aloof.  Indeed on occasion, looking at certain pictures or
statues, listening to certain music, I have had an emotion so strong that I
could only describe it in the same words as those mystics use to describe the
union with God.  That is why I have thought that this sense of communion with a
larger reality is not only the privilege of the religious, but may be reached
by other paths than prayer and fasting.

 But, I (Somerset) have asked myself, what is the use of this
emotion..........."

 As per Mr. Maugham, "it appears impossible to say that either truth or beauty
has intrinsic value....."

 Moving on to Goodness....well he concedes that "loving-kindness is the better
part of goodness" and that "Goodness is the only value that seems in this world
to appearances to have any claim to be an end in itself Virtue is its own
reward."......"But goodness is shown in right action and who can tell in this
meaningless world what right action is?.....What then is right action?....For
my own part (Somerset's) the best answer I know is that given by Fray Luis de
Leon.  To follow it does not look so difficult that human weakness quails
before it as beyond its strength.  With it I can end my book.  The beauty of
life, he says, is nothing but this, that each should act in conformity with his
nature and his business."

 Whooo...eeeee.  It is time to look for Virginia Woolf.

 Thanks again.  Emily

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <seerdope@...> wrote :

 I came across some passages from Virginia Woolf’s Novel, Orlando, struck by
similarities between some themes she touched on with recent FFL posts (or at
least the thoughts I had in reading such).   The categories are rather loose –
the quotes spill over into multiple groups.

 Passages from Orlando by Virginia Woolf

 Present Moment
 “For what more terrifying revelation can there be than that it is the present
moment? That we survive the shock at all is only possible because the past
shelters us on one side and the future on another.”

 Inside / Light /  Silence

 “A million candles burnt in him without his being at the trouble of lighting a
single one”

 “Sometimes he woke with a brain like lead; at others it was as if a thousand
wax tapers were alight and people were throwing fireworks inside him.”

 Orlando naturally loved solitary places, vast views, and to feel himself for
ever and ever and ever alone.”

 There is perhaps a kinship among qualities; one draws another along with it;
and the biographer should here call attention to the fact that this clumsiness
is often mated with a love of solitude. Having stumbled over a chest, Orlando
naturally loved solitary places, vast views, and to feel himself for ever and
ever and ever alone.”

 “Better is it', she thought, 'to be clothed with poverty and ignorance, which
are the dark garments of the female sex; better be quit of martial ambition,
the love of power, and all the other manly desires if so one can more fully
enjoy the most exalted raptures known to the humane spirit, which are', she
said aloud as her habit was when deeply moved, 'contemplation, solitude, love.”

 “I am the guardian of the sleeping fawn; the snow is dear to me; and the moon
rising; and the silver sea. With my robes I cover the speckled hen's eggs and
the brindled sea shell, I cover vice and poverty. On all things frail or dark
or doubtful, my veil descends. Wherefore, speak not, reveal not. Spare, O
spare!”

 “I have sought happiness through many ages and not found it; fame and missed
it; love and not known it; life - and behold, death is better. I have known
many men and many women.' she continued; 'none have I understood. It is better
that I should lie at peace here with only the sky above me - as the gipsy told
me years ago. That was in Turkey.”

 Illusion / Change
 “Heaven has mercifully decreed that the secrets of all hearts are hidden so
that we are lured on for ever to suspect something, perhaps, that does not
exist.”

 “To give a truthful account of London society at that or indeed at any other
time, is beyond the powers of the biographer or the historian. Only those who
have little need of the truth, and no respect for it - the poets and the
novelists - can be trusted to do it, for this is one of the cases where the
truth does not exist. Nothing exists. The whole thing is a miasma - a mirage.”

 “There were mountains; there were valleys; there were streams. She climbed the
mountains; roamed the valleys; sat on the banks of streams.....when, from the
mountain-top, she beheld, far off, across the Sea of Marmara the plains of
Greece, and made out (her eyes were admirable) the Acropolis with a white
streak or two which must, she thought, be the Parthenon, her soul expanded with
her eyeballs, and she prayed she might share the majesty of the hills, know the
serenity of the plains, etc. etc., as all such believers do.”

 “To make our meaning plain — Orlando could come home from one of these routs
at three or four in the morning with cheeks like a Christmas tree and eyes like
stars. She would untie a lace, pace the room a score of times, untie another
lace, stop, and pace the room again. Often the sun would be blazing over
Southwark chimneys before she could persuade herself to get into bed, and there
she would lie, pitching and tossing, laughing and sighing for an hour or longer
before she slept at last. And what was all this stir about? Society. And what
had society said or done to throw a reasonable lady into such an excitement? In
plain language, nothing.

  “Change was incessant, and change perhaps would never cease. High battlements
of thought, habits that had seemed as durable as stone, went down like shadows
at the touch of another mind and left a naked sky and fresh stars twinkling in
it.”

 “Translating this to the spiritual regions as their wont is, the poets sang
beautifully how roses fade and petals fall. The moment is brief they sang; the
moment is over; one long night is then to be slept by all.”

 Beauty
 Her eyes are pure stars, and her fingers, if they touch you, freeze you to the
bone.”

 “Even Orlando (who had no conceit of her person) knew it, for she smiled the
involuntary smile which women smile when their own beauty, which seems not
their own, forms like a drop falling or a fountain rising and confronts them
all of a sudden in the glass.”

 “Now," she said when all was ready and lit the silver sconces on either side
of the mirror. What woman would not have kindled to see what Orlando saw then
burning in the snow--for all about the looking glass were snowy lawns, and she
was like a fire, a burning bush, and the candle flames about her head were
silver leaves; or again, the glass was green water, and she a mermaid, slung
with pearls, a siren in a cave, singing so that oarsmen leant from their boats
and fell down, down to embrace her; so dark, so bright, so hard, so soft, was
she, so astonishingly seductive that it was a thousand pities that there was no
one there to put it in plain English, and say outright "Damn it Madam, you are
loveliness incarnate," which was the truth.”

 “Let us go, then, exploring, this summer morning, when all are adoring the
plum blossom and the bee.”

 Wholeness / Emptiness

 Thus we are forced to conclude that society is one of those brews such as
skilled housekeepers serve hot about Christmas time, whose flavour depends upon
the proper mixing and stirring of a dozen different ingredients. Take one out,
and it is in itself insipid. Take away Lord O., Lord A., Lord C., or Mr M. and
separately each is nothing. Stir them all together and they combine to give off
the most intoxicating of flavours, the most seductive of scents. Yet this
intoxication, this seductiveness, entirely evade our analysis. At one and the
same time, therefore, society is everything and society is nothing. Society is
the most powerful concoction in the world and society has no existence
whatsoever.”

 Art / Insight  /  Illusion
 “To put it in a nutshell, he was afflicted with a love of literature. It was
the fatal nature of this disease to substitute a phantom for reality.”

 “The flower bloomed and faded. The sun rose and sank. The lover loved and
went. And what the poets said in rhyme, the young translated into practice.”

 “Green in nature is one thing, green in literature another. Nature and letters
seem to have a natural antipathy; bring them together and they tear each other
to pieces.”

 “The sky is blue,' he said, 'the grass is green.' Looking up, he saw that, on
the contrary, the sky is like the veils which a thousand Madonnas have let fall
from their hair; and the grass fleets and darkens like a flight of girls
fleeing the embraces of hairy satyrs from enchanted woods. 'Upon my word,' he
said [...], 'I don't see that one's more true than another. Both are utterly
false.”

 “What is more irritating than to see one’s subject, on whom one has lavished
so much time and trouble, slipping out of one’s grasp altogether and indulging
— witness her sighs and gasps, her flushing, her palings, her eyes now bright
as lamps, now haggard as dawns — what is more humiliating than to see all this
dumb show of emotion and excitement gone through before our eyes when we know
that what causes it — thought and imagination — are of no importance
whatsoever?”

 “Orlando was unaccountably disappointed. She had thought of literature all
these years (her seclusion, her rank, her sex must be her excuse) as something
wild as the wind, hot as fire, swift as lightning; something errant,
incalculable, abrupt, and behold, literature was an elderly gentleman in a grey
suit talking about duchesses.”

 Artistic Act
 “the cardinal labor of composition, which is excision…”

 “For it has come about, by the wise economy of nature, that our modern spirit
can almost dispense with language; the commonest expressions do, since no
expressions do; hence the most ordinary conversation is often the most poetic,
and the most poetic is precisely that which cannot be written down.”

 “For if it is rash to walk into a lion's den unarmed, rash to navigate the
Atlantic in a rowing boat, rash to stand on one foot on the top of St Paul's,
it is still more rash to go home alone with a poet. A poet is Atlantic and lion
in one. While one drowns us the other gnaws us. If we survive the teeth, we
succumb to the waves. A man who can destroy illusions is both beast and flood.”

 “Such monsters the poets and the novelists alone can deal with; with such
something-nothings their works are stuffed out to prodigious size; and to them
with the best will in the world we are content to leave it.”

 “And so they would go on talking or rather, understanding, which has become
the main art of speech in an age when words are growing daily so scanty in
comparison with ideas that ‘the biscuits ran out’ has to stand for kissing a
negress in the dark when one has just read Bishop Berkeley’s philosophy for the
tenth time. (And from this it follows that only the most profound masters of
style can tell the truth, and when one meets a simple one–syllable writer, one
may conclude, without any doubt at all, that the poor man is lying.)”

 For it is probable that when people talk aloud, the selves (of which there may
be more than two thousand) are conscious of disseverment, and are trying to
communicate, but when communication is established they fall silent.”

 Memories  / Identity
 Memory is the seamstress, and a capricious one at that. Memory runs her needle
in and out, up and down, hither and thither. We know not what comes next, or
what follows after. Thus, the most ordinary movement in the world, such as
sitting down at a table and pulling the inkstand towards one, may agitate a
thousand odd, disconnected fragments, now bright, now dim, hanging and bobbing
and dipping and flaunting, like the underlinen of a family of fourteen on a
line in a gale of wind.”

 “Nothing could be seen whole or read from start to finish. What was seen begun
- like two friends starting to meet each other across the street - was never
seen ended. After twenty minutes the body and mind were like scraps of torn
paper tumbling from a sack and, indeed, the process of motoring fast out of
London so much resembles the chopping small of identity which precedes
unconsciousness and perhaps death itself...”

 “For she had a great variety of selves to call upon, far more than we have
been able to find room for, since a biography is considered complete if it
merely accounts for six or seven selves, whereas a person may have many
thousand…and these selves of which we are built up, one on top of the other, as
plates are piled on a waiter’s hand, have attachments elsewhere, sympathies,
little constitutions and rights of their own… so that one will only come if it
is raining, another in a room with green curtains, another when Mrs. Jones is
not there… and some are too wildly ridiculous to be mentioned in print at all.”

 “What a phantasmagoria the mind is and meeting-place of dissemblables!At one
moment we deplore our birth and state and aspire to an ascetic exaltation; the
next we are overcome by the smell of some old garden path and weep to hear the
thrushes sing.”

 “Nature, who has played so many queer tricks upon us, making us so unequally
of clay and diamonds, of rainbow and granite, and stuffed them into a case,
often of the most incongruous, for the poet has a butcher’s face and the
butcher a poet’s; nature, who delights in muddle and mystery, so that even now
(the first of November, 1927) we know not why we go upstairs, or why we come
down again, our most daily movements are like the passage of a ship on an
unknown sea, and the sailors at the mast-head ask, pointing their glasses to
the horizon: Is there land or is there none? to which, if we are prophets, we
make answer “Yes”; if we are truthful we say “No”; nature, who has so much to
answer for besides the perhaps unwieldy length of this sentence, has further
complicated her task and added to our confusion by providing not only a perfect
ragbag of odds and ends within us—a piece of a policeman’s trousers lying cheek
by jowl with Queen Alexandra’s wedding veil—but has contrived that the whole
assortment shall be lightly stitched together by a single thread. “

 “But if sleep it was, of what nature, we can scarcely refrain from asking, are
such sleeps as these? Are they remedial measures—trances in which the most
galling memories, events that seem likely to cripple life for ever, are brushed
with a dark wing which rubs their harshness off and gilds them, even the
ugliest, and basest, with a lustre, an incandescence? Has the finger of death
to be laid on the tumult of life from time to time lest it rend us asunder? Are
we so made that we have to take death in small doses daily or we could not go
on with the business of living? And then what strange powers are these that
penetrate our most secret ways and change our most treasured possessions
without our willing it? Had Orlando, worn out by the extremity of his
suffering, died for a week, and then come to life again? And if so, of what
nature is death and of what nature life?”

 “Every single thing [...] he found thus cumbered with other matter like the
lump of grass which, after a year at the bottom of the sea, is grown about with
bones and dragon-flies, and coins and the tresses of drowned women.”

 “If then, the subject of one’s biography will neither love nor kill, but will
only think and imagine, we may conclude that he or she is no better than a
corpse and so leave her.”

 Rack her memory as she would, next day Orlando could never remember a single
word to magnify into the name something. Lord O. had been gallant. Lord A.
polite. The Marquis of C. charming. Mr M. amusing. But when she tried to
recollect in what their gallantry, politeness, charm, or wit had consisted, she
was bound to suppose her memory at fault, for she could not name a thing. It
was the same always. Nothing remained over the next day, yet the excitement of
the moment was intense.

 Time /  Mind

 But Time, unfortunately, though it makes animals and vegetables bloom and fade
with amazing punctuality, has no such simple effect upon the mind of man.  The
mind of man works with strangeness upon the body of time. An hour, once it
lodges in the queer element of the human spirit, may be stretched to fifty or a
hundred times its clock length; on the other hand, an hour may be accurately
represented by the timepiece of the mind by one second. This extraordinary
discrepancy between time on the clock and time in the mind is less known than
it should be, and deserves fuller investigation.”

 For if there are (at a venture) seventy-six different times all ticking in the
mind at once, how many different people are there not – Heaven help us – all
having lodgment at one time or another in the human spirit?”

 Ecstasy
 “It’s something useless, sudden, violent; something that costs a life; red,
blue, purple; a spirit; a splash … free from taint, dependence, soilure of
humanity or care for one’s kind; something rash, ridiculous… ecstasy — it’s
ecstasy that matters.”