Turquoise,
 I am all for exploring outside the box. Though, of course, simple being
outside the box, by it self,  does not make something useful and valid. Perhaps
nine of ten, or 99 out of 100 things outside the box are dross and dead-ends.
But finding that one thing can I would hope, make the effort worthwhile.

 The demarcations of what is inside the box and outside may vary.  At large
scale,  Xeno had some wonderful replies to a set of Dev. posts. recently.  One
theme being the universality of (at least) many religions and paths towards
unfolding that what is inside the "inner" box  is the same as that which is
outside (the inner) box.  On a more focussed scale, some may be living within a
quite small box and venturing outside is indeed may feel to be an escape from
Plato's Cave. I realize that like Russian dolls, others may be living inside a
larger box, already containing my little box and what to me are astonishing
insights are child's play to them.  And if not abusing the analogy, we may be
living in different boxes pertaining to different spheres of our lives. For
example, someone well grounded in physics is living in a far vaster box than me
in that domain, though (well for the sake of argument) I may be living in a
larger box in at least a few domains within which their box is comparatively
smaller.

 And it appears sometimes, what appears to be a large box is simply filled with
hot air, smoke and mirrors. That is, a concise simple view may actually be a
huge box -- having cut through all the jungle clutter. Thus, my suggesting that
you have viewed the Gita in simple terms is neither a dismissal or compliment
of your ideas. Each view needs to stand on its own merits.

 Some thoughts:
 1) Per the story, prior to  the battlefield, Krishna was Arjuna's friend. Upon
being asked, Krishna became Arjuna's servant, his charioteer -- a lowly
position. Only at Arjuna's request, did Krishna take on a role of guidance and
counsel. Not until quite late in the Gita did Krisha reveal his universal form
-- again at Arjuna's request.   That form was so overwhelming, Arjuna begged
Krishna to return to his form as friend.

 Arjuna asked many questions. Having gained insight from Krishna's replies,
Arjuna placed more weight on Krishna's value as an advisor. By the end, Arjuna
had all his questions answered, felt from his own view, that Krishna was the
real deal (for him, Arjuna) and had no qualms about taking the totality of
Krishna's advice .

 2)  From your posts, I know you appreciate the role of metaphors. Many view
the battlefield in the Gita as metaphor -- which does not validate -- but
perhaps is worthy of consideration.
 (a quick cut and past from Wiki)

 Eknath Easwaran http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eknath_Easwaran writes that the
Gita '​s subject is "the war within, the struggle for self-mastery that every
human being must wage if he or she is to emerge from life victorious",[53]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-84 and that "The language
of battle is often found in the scriptures, for it conveys the strenuous, long,
drawn-out campaign we must wage to free ourselves from the tyranny of the ego,
the cause of all our suffering and sorrow."[54]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-85
 Swami Nikhilananda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Nikhilananda, takes
Arjuna as an allegory of Ātman, Krishna as an allegory of Brahman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman, Arjuna's chariot as the body, and
Dhritarashtra as the ignorance filled mind.[note 7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-86
 Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi, in his commentary on
the Gita,[55] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-87
interprets the battle as "an allegory in which the battlefield is the soul and
Arjuna, man's higher impulses struggling against evil".[56]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-88
 Swami Vivekananda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Vivekananda also
emphasised that the first discourse in the Gita related to the war could be
taken allegorically.[57]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-89 Vivekananda further
remarked,
 This Kurukshetra War is only an allegory. When we sum up its esoteric
significance, it means the war which is constantly going on within man between
the tendencies of good and evil.[58]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-SV-vol4-90
 In Aurobindo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurobindo's view, Krishna was a
historical figure, but his significance in the Gita is as a "symbol of the
divine dealings with humanity",[59]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-91 while Arjuna typifies a
"struggling human soul".[60]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-THD-92 However, Aurobindo
rejected the interpretation that the Gita, and the Mahabharata by extension, is
"an allegory of the inner life, and has nothing to do with our outward human
life and actions":[60]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-THD-92
 ...That is a view which the general character and the actual language of the
epic does not justify and, if pressed, would turn the straightforward
philosophical language of the Gita into a constant, laborious and somewhat
puerile mystification....the Gita is written in plain terms and professes to
solve the great ethical and spiritual difficulties which the life of man
raises, and it will not do to go behind this plain language and thought and
wrest them to the service of our fancy. But there is this much of truth in the
view, that the setting of the doctrine though not symbolical, is certainly
typical...[this quote needs a citation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Quotations]
 Swami Krishnananda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Krishnananda regards the
characters and the circumstances depicted in the Bhagavad Gita as symbolic of
various moods, vicissitudes, and facets of human life.[61]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-93 He highlights the
universal applicability of the Gita to human life by saying:
 It is not the story of some people that lived sometime ago but a
characterisation of all people that may live at any time in the history of the
world.[62] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-94
 Swami Chinmayananda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Chinmayananda writes:
 Here in the Bhagavad Gita, we find a practical handbook of instruction on how
best we can re-organise our inner ways of thinking, feeling, and acting in our
everyday life and draw from ourselves a larger gush of productivity to enrich
the life around us, and to emblazon the subjective life within us.
 Bhagavad Gita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-95

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-95

 Bhagavad Gita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-95 Yajur vedic

 View on en.wikipedia.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#cite_note-95
 Preview by Yahoo

 3) The Gita is and has been seen quite distinctly by India and the world
through the ages. It is not a one-view- fits-all type of  book. I found the
following book review useful in understanding that better.

 War and Peace in the Bhagavad Gita by Wendy Doniger
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/dec/04/war-and-peace-bhagavad-gita/

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/dec/04/war-and-peace-bhagavad-gita/

 War and Peace in the Bhagavad Gita by Wendy ...
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/dec/04/war-and-peace-bhagavad-gita/
 How did Indian tradition transform the Bhagavad Gita into a bible for
pacifism, when it began life as an epic argument persuading a warrior to engage
in a battl...

 View on www.nybooks.com
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/dec/04/war-and-peace-bhagavad-gita/

 Preview by Yahoo