Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, it seemed to me that a lot of
Brit cop shows started adopting Scandi elements and had to up their game to
compete and were improved for it.

 Shame this one is on Sky and not free to air, BBC4 is the logical home for all
things detectivy and foreign. I particularly enjoy Spiral, now in its fifth
season and still going strong. But being French it couldn't be any more
different from those cool Scandinavian drama's. It's turbo-charged with a much
more 'in your face' and punchy production style, some great - if annoyingly
dashing -  characters, and serious plot complexity. I'm hoping I can remember
everything that happened week-to-week so I record them just in case I need a
recap.

 Missed Broadchurch but shall endeavor somehow to see Fortitude as I miss
Sophie and there won't be any more Wallander...

 There were a few good drama's on the BBC this year but they are hard to
recommend as they were so English that the eccentricities might make it like
watching Star Trek to anyone else here.

 Now that the second season of "Broadchurch" has turned out to be so bad, I
went looking for something interesting and British  to watch, and stumbled onto
"Fortitude." T'would seem that the Brits have grown so fond of Scandinavian
Noir TV shows like "The Killing" that they've started creating their own.

 "Fortitude" is a crime thriller set in an isolated location, like
"Broadchurch." But whereas the town of Broadchurch was just in a remote part of
Britain, the town of Fortitude is *really* isolated -- above the Arctic Circle
in Spitsbergen, Svalbard, an island 500 kilometers north of Norway. It's so
small that everyone has a job, and there is a Sheriff but he doesn't really
have anything to do because there is no crime. Until now.

 The cast is excellent. Richard Dormer as the Sheriff, Sofie Gråbøl (from "The
Killing") as the Governor of the island, Michael Gambon as a dying wildlife
photographer, Christopher Eccleston as a scientist at an Arctic Research
Facility, and Stanley Tucci as police inspector brought in from the mainland to
supervise the investigation of what appears to be Fortitude's first murder.

 Just as the peaceful, boring Dorset town of Broadchurch was revealed to be
anything but once a murder caused people to start looking below the surface,
it's pretty obvious that "the town with no crime" will be similar. The first
episode plants enough red herrings and hints at to suggest that pretty much
anybody could be the guilty party.

 Plus there is the scenery -- it's so bleak and white that it is difficult at
times to believe that this was series was actually shot on planet Earth. If
you're feeling cold and oppressed by Winter where you live, watching this show
should help to warm you up by reminding you how good you've actually got it.

 Fortitude Trailer (First Look) - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2081861401/

 http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2081861401/

 Fortitude Trailer (First Look) - IMDb