A lot of these theaters began as "opera houses". Wasting a lot of ornate architecture on venue that have the lights out during the performance isn't very practical. There is still one "ornate" theater in the business complex where I worked in the 1990s. There are probably very few left in the SF Bay Area which does have venues for operas, live theater and concerts. But movies, because people pay so much anymore, have to deliver what people are paying for. At that movie theater attendance is way down because it just costs too much. Tickets are over $10 for adults and by the time you add the overpriced snacks then it becomes an expensive evening.

Owning a large screen TV and even a decent surround system is no longer just the purvey of the elite. So more people just wait for the disc or rent online for the price of *one* ticket or less. This even includes some indie movies before they hit the theaters. And, of course, you can find the pause button. ;-)

On 02/17/2015 11:50 AM, TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
*/I posted the photos of the Tuschinski that I did partly to remind people whose experience of what a "movie house" can be has been buggered senseless by modern low standards that there are...uh...higher standards.
/*
*/
/*
*/I have seen movie houses that rival the greatest opera houses in the world. Some of them *were* the greatest opera houses in the world, before they became movie houses. They're like sanctuaries to the performing arts. You walk in and if you're even halfway sentient the beauty of the place and the VIBE of the place gets you and you just hush yo mout' and look around and realize that you are in a Place Of Worship.
/*
*/
/*
*/You don't come to a place like this to tweet during the movie and glass the guy in front of you for being an asshole. You come here to appreciate the artform known as cinema.
/*
*/
/*
*/In other words, there are still a few movie houses in the world that remember what a movie house is all about. They are worth visiting, if you find yourself near one. /*

*From:* "Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:41 PM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] Fifty shades of Glasgow...

If I go to a movie at the nearby theater then it is usually a matinee during the week when there is hardly anyone else. There have been times I was the only paying customer. I don't feel the need to huddle with the masses. I think I went to one movie, "Lucy", last year at that theater. And I've never been able to find the pause button there either.