Religious scriptures can contain some mention of facts, but usually they seem
to be on the order of say the mention of the Kennedy assassination in the
Illuminatus! triology of Shea & Wilson, where there is quite a lot of mention
of historical people in an otherwise unbelievable story. There is more
historical information available for Pontius Pilate than for Jesus. JR's view
of the world does not seem to rest much on factual data, and seems to lack an
underpinning of basic logic. Religious scriptures and apologetics basically
just want to convince you of something, and there is nothing I see wrong in
that, but buyer beware. Our societies tend not to give us the tools to think
critically. The Netherlands has been a place where free thinking has had a
better hold than in most, but I am ignorant of how well that is holding up
currently.

 I don't remember the pink box in Buckaroo Banzai, but it has been years and
years since I saw that film. One year, probably in the min-1980s, I was talking
to my sister on the phone. She was travelling and in a motel or hotel
somewhere, and she said 'I am watching the strangest movie I have ever seen';
after a few questions I was able determine she was watching Buckaroo Banzai.
You had to have lived in the late 40s and early 50s to get some of the things
in that film, such as the relationship of comic books to characters actors
played in films and on TV, especially because some of the actors played
themselves in the films, like Roy Rogers, Gene Autry etc.

 I had been watching a laid back modern-day western on Netflix that was
cancelled by AMC: Longmire. Peter Weller had been in it occasionally and
directing some episodes. Netflix has picked it up to produce an additional
season, so perhaps Weller will get to direct some more episodes.

 Still snow on the ground here. Went to a Connecticut mall this morning to walk
around as the trails here are muck for a while as the snow and ice melt away.
Usually I make my own coffee, but I had some at Starbucks, which is about the
only thing around here. There is one good small non-Starbucks coffee shop I am
aware of, but it is normally too far to drive (57km round trip).

 I am aware of the problems with establishing the historical existence of many
religious figures, Xeno, but that isn't what I was getting at with JR. I have
noticed in him a tendency that I doubt he is aware of -- or, if he is, he
probably sees nothing wrong with.

 When claiming to believe in the existence of Krishna or similar figures from
religious myth here in the past, he has cited as proof "scriptures" such as the
Gita. Bzzzzzzt. Thanks for playing, but no win. Religious scriptures are NOT
factual, no matter how many people believe they are. Scholars often don't even
know the *century* many of them were written in, much less who wrote them. Best
to consider them creative fiction written with the intent to inspire IMO.

 The only *other* mechanism by which JR can claim to have "done research" on
the question of whether someone like Krishna existed in real life or not is
"seeing" -- meaning some kind of subjective realization or vision or intuition.
While I admit that such things exist -- subjectively -- I do NOT admit that any
of these "seeings" have anything to do with fact. If they did, more people who
claim to be able to see the future would be millionaires.  :-)

 I was just hoping to see JR try to actually posit and then defend some
mechanism by which he thinks "proof" could be offered of Krishna's existence.
If he actually tried, it might wake him up to the fact that the only reason he
*does* believe in such silliness is that someone he holds as an "authority"
said so. In other words, his only "proof" is the word "Maharishisez."

 Now, as for Schroedinger's cat, I for one have no problem with someone being
both alive and dead at the same time. Just look at Keith Richards -- the guy
has looked like death on a stick since the 1960s, yet he still manages to tour
and play some pretty good guitar. If that's not an example of Schroedinger's
paradox, I don't know what is.  :-)

 As for the answer to "What's in the big pink box, man?" that is as much of a
koan as it was when posed in the movie "Buckaroo Banzai." Me, I kinda doubt
it's enlightenment.  :-)