 From: "jr_esq@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2015 11:20 PM
 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Could it be...Satan?

   Xeno,

 I'm a truth seeker.

 Based on what you say here, John, I would suggest that you are NOT a "truth
seeker." What you seek is someone TELLING YOU what is "truth." That is why you
rely on books from the past and what you were told by teachers like Maharishi.

Non sequitur.

 There was a valid reason why the rishis and prophets of the past have written
books like the Bible, BGita and Srimad Bhagavatam.  IMO, they were conveying
their realization of truth through their meditation and contemplation.

 THIS is what I have been trying to get you to admit, and to realize about
yourself, John. You believe that certain books are "true" or "truth" for no
other reason than that you were TOLD they are.

Non sequitur.

 Similarly, you admit to a belief that "truth" can be based on the "realization
of truth through meditation and contemplation." Bzzzzzzt. Science tells us that
NO SUCH THING EXISTS. Humans have a near-infinite ability to deceive
themselves. We can't even be sure that people are reporting the "truth" when
they give first-person testimony in court about things that they see in real
life. Based on studies that have shown how easy it is to "implant" false
memories or "lead" witnesses into changing their testimony, there have been
serious discussions in the legal system about abandoning the entire concept of
first-person testimony, because it cannot be relied upon.

Non sequitur.

 Now look at what you believe. Given the fact that science tells us we cannot
rely on the truth or accuracy of things we perceive in the real world with our
senses, you're trying to tell us that we should believe in things we "see" only
in our heads?  Bzzzzzzt...does not compute. Yes, *of course* people can have
"visions." But they are NOT "truth." They're just something you see -- or, more
likely imagine -- in your head. So any of these "seeings" that form the basis
of "scriptures" are -- according to science -- not to be believed.

Non sequitur.

 The other assumption you seem to make is that when a person *claims* to have
had a subjective experience that they interpret as enlightenment or holy
revelation, we should believe them. Bzzzzzt. If spending a few years on
Fairfield Life and having encountered bozos like Ravi, Jim, Robin and others
should have taught you anything, it would be that people have a near-infinite
ability to fool themselves (and others) about their supposed states of
consciousness. What makes any of the so-called enlightened "seers" or authors
of these "scriptures" you rely on any different? Why couldn't *they* have been
fooling themselves just as much as the pretenders to enlightenment on FFL were
able to?

Non sequitur.

 Some stories in the Bible, like the Garden of Eden story, can be understood as
a metaphor.  But there is a message in that story in many levels that the
reader and the seeker need to unravel and understand to appreciate its wisdom.

 "Need to?" Bzzzzzt. People who enjoy that sort of thing "can" read these
made-up stories as metaphor if they'd like, and they "can" try to convince
themselves and others that they have learned something from them. But "need
to?" That's just religious fanaticism. No one "needs" to read any of these
fairy tales to become "wise." They can do that just by living, interacting with
other human beings, and paying attention.

Non sequitur.

 The basic essence of the message is the importance of human consciousness and
its capacity to cognize the truth.

 Here is the point we differ on, John. Human consciousness does NOT have the
ability to "cognize truth." That is something that religious fanatics choose to
believe because it makes them feel more important. But science tells us that no
such ability exists. The "message" you cling to is a LIE.

Non sequitur.

 This can be done with human reason and the element of faith.  Without them,
one cannot perceive the truth that the rishis and prophets were trying to
convey.

 Do you even *know* that reason and faith are different things, and the polar
opposite of one another? Faith has nothing whatsoever to do with "truth."

Non sequitur.

 As it says on the home page of the forum you are writing to:  "What is wanted
is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out, which is the exact
opposite." ~ Bertrand Russell

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 JR might be a literalist. I certainly am not. I have encountered Christian
groups that interpret scripture metaphorically and speak of consciousness
rather than entities such as Moses or Jesus who are going to save your ass if
you believe in them. Some people just seem to be unable to interpret things
metaphorically. Perhaps they could try writing poetry. To me a spiritual system
is a collection of carefully crafted lies that will, if practised properly,
eventually allow you to see they are lies. And then you are free of them, and
the tendency to fall back into belief.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jason_green2@...> wrote :

Semitic religions, that is Judeo-christian-muslim worldview
is basicaly literalist.  Most of what is written there are
interperted literaly.

Eastern religions, that is Hindu-Buddhist philosophy is more
metaphorical, allegorical, symbolic and figurative.

This leads to confusion and misunderstanding, when both
groups read each other's literature.

Could it be JohnR is a literalist?

--- <anartaxius@...> wrote :

Religious scriptures can contain some mention of facts, but usually they seem
to be on the order of say the mention of the Kennedy assassination in the
Illuminatus! triology of Shea & Wilson, where there is quite a lot of mention
of historical people in an otherwise unbelievable story. There is more
historical information available for Pontius Pilate than for Jesus. JR's view
of the world does not seem to rest much on factual data, and seems to lack an
underpinning of basic logic. Religious scriptures and apologetics basically
just want to convince you of something, and there is nothing I see wrong in
that, but buyer beware. Our societies tend not to give us the tools to think
critically. The Netherlands has been a place where free thinking has had a
better hold than in most, but I am ignorant of how well that is holding up
currently.

--- <turquoiseb@...> wrote :

 I am aware of the problems with establishing the historical existence of many
religious figures, Xeno, but that isn't what I was getting at with JR. I have
noticed in him a tendency that I doubt he is aware of -- or, if he is, he
probably sees nothing wrong with.

 When claiming to believe in the existence of Krishna or similar figures from
religious myth here in the past, he has cited as proof "scriptures" such as the
Gita. Bzzzzzzt. Thanks for playing, but no win. Religious scriptures are NOT
factual, no matter how many people believe they are. Scholars often don't even
know the *century* many of them were written in, much less who wrote them. Best
to consider them creative fiction written with the intent to inspire IMO.

 The only *other* mechanism by which JR can claim to have "done research" on
the question of whether someone like Krishna existed in real life or not is
"seeing" -- meaning some kind of subjective realization or vision or intuition.
While I admit that such things exist -- subjectively -- I do NOT admit that any
of these "seeings" have anything to do with fact. If they did, more people who
claim to be able to see the future would be millionaires.  :-)

 I was just hoping to see JR try to actually posit and then defend some
mechanism by which he thinks "proof" could be offered of Krishna's existence.
If he actually tried, it might wake him up to the fact that the only reason he
*does* believe in such silliness is that someone he holds as an "authority"
said so. In other words, his only "proof" is the word "Maharishisez."

 Now, as for Schroedinger's cat, I for one have no problem with someone being
both alive and dead at the same time. Just look at Keith Richards -- the guy
has looked like death on a stick since the 1960s, yet he still manages to tour
and play some pretty good guitar. If that's not an example of Schroedinger's
paradox, I don't know what is.  :-)

 As for the answer to "What's in the big pink box, man?" that is as much of a
koan as it was when posed in the movie "Buckaroo Banzai." Me, I kinda doubt
it's enlightenment.  :-)