Yep, conspiracy theorizing is sort of like nicotine to an addiction to harder
things that become perniciously asocial like,  “The most unbalanced members of
a society, when exposed to these ideas, can be driven to commit terrible acts,
including assault and mass murder”. Conspiracy theorizing should be moderated
by everyone for everyone's protection. A strong protection against conspiracy
theorists is in a vital and strong free public education for all citizens, at
the least, that starts early and is sustained in to adulthood providing the
critical skill-sets to have a more widely informed citizenry. -JaiGuruYou!

 Re: Conspiracy theories as addiction, here's an article on the very subject.
Interestingly enough, the article -- sane and surprisingly sanely written until
you get to the last section -- appears on a class-A conspiracy site. Go figure.
That said, doesn't this quote sound familiar? How many times have we heard the
word "sheeple" used by conspiracy theory addicts here on FFL?

 The obsession with conspiracy theories has been compared to an addiction. Once
one has delved deeply into this mindset, recovery—a return to balanced, sound
thinking—is rare. What motivates a person to immerse himself in them in the
first place?

 Conspiracy theories are a powerful source of pride and a wellspring of
intellectual vanity. The theorist comes to see himself as thinking on a higher
plane than the ignorant masses around him. He walks the fringes of society,
watching his surroundings with suspicion. No one realizes what’s going on, he
thinks.

 If speaking his mind on conspiracies causes others to recoil, he simply
dismisses them as “dumb sheep” who cannot see what he sees. Every episode like
this further reaffirms how special this inside information makes him.

 Why Conspiracy Theories? http://realtruth.org/articles/110203-001-society.html

 http://realtruth.org/articles/110203-001-society.html

 Why Conspiracy Theories? http://realtruth.org/articles/110203-001-society.html
A Magazine Restoring Plain Understanding

 View on realtruth.org http://realtruth.org/articles/110203-001-society.html
 Preview by Yahoo