Thanks for the follow up. I suspect much of this is "security theater" and unnecessary. They could do it more covertly given our technology. I think they want to condition us to live like we're in a Stalag.

We had a 32 year old woman shot dead on the Embarcadero the other evening. They caught the guy who did it and he was a Mexican who had been deported 5 times already and had felony convictions. Apparently he just decided to shoot somebody. And I bet he used an unregistered gun so gun laws aren't going to help in these situations. Nor would "security theater."

We've also had a couple of shooting down the road from me on the freeway. They don't know who did those. Maybe it was the same guy.