 IMO, monkeys have a fairly similar DNA structure than humans.  So, their DNA
can probably be manipulated genetically to create a super-intelligent monkey
that perhaps can converse with humans.  But the obvious question is: why would
anyone want to do that?

 To understand. If we can learn how to ultimately manipulate brains then we are
closer to knowing the great secret of ourselves. Imagine the consequences of
that, for psychiatry, self knowledge, peak performance, space travel etc. We'll
truly be the masters of the universe.

 But the question of whether we should do that is one we'll have to ask as we
go along. Learning responsibility will become essential but I doubt we'll be
able to control the genie once it's out of the bottle. The urge to learn is too
strong in us and knowledge can always be used for good or bad. You can't
unlearn so as this sort of thing is possible we are going to have to learn to
live with it.

 The pace of growth in knowledge of brain systems seems to be accelerating:

 Monkey 'brain net' raises prospect of human brain-to-brain connection
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/09/monkey-brain-net-raises-prospect-of-human-brain-to-brain-connection

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/09/monkey-brain-net-raises-prospect-of-human-brain-to-brain-connection

 Monkey 'brain net' raises prospect of human brai...
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/09/monkey-brain-net-raises-prospect-of-human-brain-to-brain-connection
 In two separate experiments, scientists have formed a network from the brains
of monkeys and rats, allowing them to co-operate and learn as a “superbrain”

 View on www.theguardian.com
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/09/monkey-brain-net-raises-prospect-of-human-brain-to-brain-connection
 Preview by Yahoo