Here's a question for any mystics out there; if consciousness is the unified
field, how does it create unconscious thought processes that then become
conscious?

 In a new paper published
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9795408&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0140525X15000643
 in the journal Behavioral and Brain Sciences, a group of researchers led by
associate professor of psychology Ezequiel Morsella of San Francisco State
University, took on the somewhat narrower question of exactly what
consciousness is—and came up with a decidedly bleaker view: It’s pretty much
nothing at all. Never mind the five characters from the movie Inside Out
controlling your thoughts, you barely control them.

 “The information we perceive in our consciousness is not created by conscious
thought,” Morsella said in a statement accompanying the release of the paper.
“Nor is it reacted to by conscious processes. Consciousness is the middle-man
and it doesn’t do as much work as you think.”
 The conscious you, in effect, is like a not terribly bright CEO, whose
subordinates do all of the research, draft all of the documents, then lay them
out and say, “Sign here, sir.” The CEO does—and takes the credit.

 We are, like it or not, biological machines, and the simpler we keep things,
the less chance there is for a mistake or a breakdown. The mind, as the most
complex part of us, needs the streamlining more than anything else. None of
this changes the fact that our brains are the seat of our greatest
achievements—our poetry, our inventions, our compassion, our art. It’s just
that it’s the unconscious rather than the conscious that should take the bow.

 Why You're Pretty Much Unconscious Most of the Time
http://time.com/3937351/consciousness-unconsciousness-brain/

 http://time.com/3937351/consciousness-unconsciousness-brain/

 Why You're Pretty Much Unconscious Most of the Time
http://time.com/3937351/consciousness-unconsciousness-brain/ A surprising new
paper argues that consciousness is just a bit player in the human brain

 View on time.com http://time.com/3937351/consciousness-unconsciousness-brain/
 Preview by Yahoo