--- In
FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "tomandcindytraynoratfairfieldlis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tom T:
> Those in the movement get really good at step 11. Sought through
> prayer and meditation to etc,
> The basic pproblem is that ultimately you have to do all 12 steps.
You
> can not transcend away all that stuff we have inside. If you don't
do
> it then it gets done.
> Step 1 I am not in control of you fill in the word blank. If you
tilt
> that about 90 degrees you end up with I am not the doer. One can
> suddenly discover they are not the doer and they never had the I
they
> thought they did. Very disconcerting to stumble on to that baby.
> Bottom line, own your stuff take it back into the wholeness you
> already are and discover joy and freedom. Tom T

True enough.  Powerlessness over (fill in the blank) is one helluva
foundation to start from.  But, I always liked the clarification
that the Serenity (Senility?) Prayer gave:  God, Grant me the
serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change
the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  In
the "yoga" of the 12 steps the Serenity Prayer is really a prayer
about developing the mind's/spirit's discriminating abilities.  One
maybe powerless over the behavior of another (an alcoholic parent,
spouse, etc.), but one CAN choose to not spend time, etc. with the
person, breaking the cycle of endless suffering because the
codependent is playing God thinking they can affect the other's
behavior.

Also, the alcoholic or drug addict etc. may not be able to give up
their addiction forever, but they can give it up for 1 hour or 1 day
at a time.

I think TB's are expecting too much from just Transcending and not
putting enough energy into the activity phase.  12 steps kind of
balances out my meditation practice by getting me off my ass to work
at doing service, cleaning up my messes, finding ways to know myself
better so that I know others better.  It's part of my sadhana as
much as TM and aerobics are.  And I hate 12 step and fitness TB'ers
as much as I hate TM TB'ers.