 Ne’er think the vict’ry won,
 Nor lay thine armor down;
 Thy arduous work will not be done
 Till thou obtain the crown.
 Fight on, thy soul, till death
 Shall bring thee to thy God;
 It’ll take thee, at thy parting breath,
 To Its divine abode.

And OM for the good fortune of great communal upbringing in family, peers and
teachers.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Does behavior have much of anything to do with enlightenment. Well,there is
Jesus throwing chairs and tables around the temple. Our own Prime Minister of
the Global Country apparently has bad anger and temper management problems.
Steve Jobs? Is there a place for psychological counseling even for the
enlightened?

 Steve Jobs?
 http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34604387
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34604387

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Re "How many selves do you have? My angel side, my demon side? My spiritual
side, my worldly side?"

 :Higher vs Lower?
How many selves do you have?
What About This Side And That Side?
My angel side, my demon side?
My spiritual side, my worldly side?

They call this scitzoidiz fragmentation.

 How many selves? One!

 Each of us is that One Self. It's the identical One Self that is incarnating
right now as emptybill and S3raph and every other sentient being - including
the lost cat that is meowing outside my house now as I type. It is therefore
pointless for me to dispute with you as I would be trying to persuade myself to
change my own opinion! If I was sitting where emptybill is sitting (which
indeed "I" am) I would have an identical take on life as he does - the "take"
with which I (my lower self) does not agree.

 The One Self is the Witness - completely empty (but you knew that!) and
without qualities. This is basic Advaita.

 The simultaneous presence of different "selves" (all those "lower" selves)
within each of us is amusing. A man can face a frightening, traumatic situation
- say a drunk throwing a punch at him - and experience the appropriate feelings
of fear and panic while at the same moment another part of himself can be
thinking coldly and objectively: "That was an impressive jab. Not bad. Not bad
at all".

 "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I
contain multitudes."
 (Walt Whitman)

 I like this post, quite bit. The self that is reading it likes it, the self
that is drinking some excellent organic Earl Grey from Silk Road tea shop is
liking it and even the self that is thinking about what I have to do today
thought it was pretty good too.

 S3
Each of us is that One Self.

Oh ... I get it. The great shruti of the Brahmarishi-s.
"Us is One". No wonder you need to claim an Emerson quote.
Damn yanks were always confused but it must make perfect sense across the pond
in the local parish.

If "us is one" then when my current thought "I am Emptybill" suddenly ends, as
all thoughts do, why isn't my next thought "I am Bhari2"? And then my next
thought ... "I am Willy the Moron or "Us Chanuchistani's need to stick
together"?

If "we is all one" then why isn't there confusion of memories and identities
between all these "apparent" individuals?

No wonder you need to claim an Emerson quote. Damn yanks were always confused
but it must make perfect sense across the pond in the local parish.

 The quote was from Walt Whitman. But Emerson could have supplied a choice
sentence. As could Thoreau or William James or Emily Dickinson. All Yanks and
making perfect sense.

If "we is all one" then why isn't there confusion of memories and identities
between all these "apparent" individuals?

 That's the million-dollar question.

 Sometimes the wires do get crossed and there is just such a confusion - as
when individuals claim to suddenly experience a previous life - as Barry has so
claimed on FFL. Why should it be a previous life of Barry's and not the life
experience of another man entirely as seen by The One, the transcendental self
which is witnessing everything?

 As memories belong to our lower self they are localised to each individual
brain/body. Normally each of us is locked into our own apparent and separate
personalities. If we weren't the game of life would be a cacophony that would
leave everyone paralysed so the seeming separation has a survival benefit. And
this way we can love and hate each other. Exciting huh?

 If true. I suspect there's a rather easier way of explaining it. How about
this "transcendental self" not actually existing and the reason we think it
does is because we can occasionally attain states of mind where our normal
cognitive apparatus is changed so that what we usually see as background space
becomes all we see thus giving rise to the idea that this transcendental
vastness is ever present but we don't normally see it? After all, the only
evidence we have is down to experiences gained via drugs or meditation, it is
thus very interpretation dependent - we have a good trip and look around for
explanations, so far the only ones we really have are all of the "cosmic"
variety, I'm expecting something that fits in with our knowledge of
evolutionary processes.

 It's not as much fun granted, but a proper science of mind is going to have to
take into account all experiences we can possibly have and the breaking up of
normal functioning in meditation is going to be rather revealing as it's a
quiet systematic process, I'm sure the correlation between areas of the brain
are going to change at each claimed "level" of consciousness.

 Apart from the lack of something to re-incarnate, my main objection is an
evolutionary one; if we could remember past lives it would be so amazingly
useful we'd use the skill all the time, but we can't. That makes me suspect
that all claimed experiences of such or flashes of other lives however gained
are something else entirely.

 I convert for evidence.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 This might be helpful for your discussion,

 “The straightest way to spiritual evolution and advanced states of
consciousness is via the field of consciousness itself, which is the nonlinear
Radiance of Divine Energy that is the substrate of all that exists.  The
condition of Enlightenment is the state of pure Radiance that shines forth as
the Presence/Self.  The Self is the essence of spiritual existence and Reality
as subjectively Known by virtue of effulgent Identity.

 The Radiance and Effulgence of the nonlinear Self are autonomous, consequent
to relinquishment of the linear/ego positionalities and emotions that preclude
their realization.  The phenomenon of Enlightenment is thus analogous to the
shining forth of the sun when the clouds have been removed.  …The personal
self, therefore, does not become enlightened but instead falls away and is
replaced by the previously obscured Reality of the Self as the Radiance of God
Immanent.  This is in contrast to linear concepts and beliefs about God as
being primarily only transcendent and therefore ‘elsewhere’ in time and
location.”
 -Discovery of the Presence of God, -David R Hawkins, 2006

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emptyb...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 If "we is all one" then why isn't there confusion of memories and identities
between all these "apparent" individuals?

 That's the million-dollar question. As memories belong to our lower self they
are localised to each individual brain/body.

This is your reasoned response to the question about memories and identity?
They are just inhabitants of our "lower self"?

This just iterates your previous schizoid claim ... a sort of "My lower self
did it".
 Dear S3, in my experience what you wrote before here was really fine and true
in experience. Empty here in a kind of sophistry of baiting is just trying to
have you chase your own tail for us to watch. Stick with your own spiritual
experience on this. It is fine.  Others may weep.