We aren't talking about "taking away gun ownership rights."  The second
amendment is not going away.  Why are you going to worst case scenario, an
extremist position.  How do you explain the fact that the European countries
with stronger gun control laws than us have not gone the way of "tyrannical
government, loss of freedom of speech, etc.?"

 "....Oceguera resigned his NRA lifetime membership in a letter to LaPierre,
which he posted on his campaign website
http://www.johnoceguera.com/2015/12/03/why-im-resigning-my-nra-membership/.

 "Our country is facing a tragic gun violence epidemic, and we cannot ignore
it. Still, the NRA opposes any legislation that would help keep guns out of the
hands of terrorists, criminals and the mentally ill, and spends millions to
stop any action in Congress that could help prevent further violence," he
wrote. "I cannot continue to be a member while the NRA refuses to back closing
these loopholes."
 Meet the Gun-Loving Lifelong Member of the NRA Who Just Submitted His
Resignation
http://news.yahoo.com/meet-gun-loving-lifelong-member-175404650.html

 http://news.yahoo.com/meet-gun-loving-lifelong-member-175404650.html

 Meet the Gun-Loving Lifelong Member of the NRA Who Ju...
http://news.yahoo.com/meet-gun-loving-lifelong-member-175404650.html "I just
got to a point where I thought, 'Enough is enough.'"

 View on news.yahoo.com
http://news.yahoo.com/meet-gun-loving-lifelong-member-175404650.html
 Preview by Yahoo

  The purpose of the second amendment is for citizens to protect themselves
from a tyrannical government. Those governments usually begin with taking away
gun ownership rights, then freedom of speech and the press and proceed onward
with more and more government regulation.