So, I think I have an interesting perspective on the anxiety issue with those
who shun meat based on what has happened in the past few years in our home.
I'm an omnivore.  My wife in 2012 was diagnosed with rectal cancer and after
successful chemo and radiation treatment is still with my partner in crime.
After treatment I showed her the video Forks Over Knives which got her to
investigate going plant base diet wise.  This has been a good lifestyle and
health choice for her.  A number of different things can cause the cancer she
had and she has gone about eliminating those causes to the best of her ability.
 Going plant base, eliminating alcohol, oil, fat, sugar, refined carbohydrates,
and addressing a wheat alllergy have gone to mitigating inflammation of her gut
which is probably one of the primary causes of her cancer in the first place.

However, she seems more stressed in some respects too, because when you adopt a
vegan life style you also fall into the vegan media message which points out
how bad we treat animals for food in their factory farms. Additionally, vegans
begin to see that our greatest energy cost next to transportation is in the
production of meat. They become aware how much water is wasted (2400 gallons of
H2O for 1 lb of beef).  They see the corruption of our politics and agriculture
and health by the big / big pharma / big oil syndicate.  GMO corn and soy for
feed with Roundup for feed for animals getting fat with antibiotics that become
useless to us.  Meat is cheap because of the lobbying brought about subsidies
while fruits and vegetables with the most nutrition cost an arm and a leg.
Vegans like my wife don't see any hope for the planet with this system.  As
Westerners get more obese she sees them as a threat to the healthcare system
she fought so hard to get in place.

I don't think it is the absence of meat in the diet that drives vegheads nuts.
It's the entrenched infrastructure.