It's funny, I've always been a critic of the TMO's Maharishi Effect research -
even when I worked there. Mostly because I don't understand how it might
possibly work (and they have never explained it in a way that is accessible to
people who aren't happy with vague, new age terminology) and also because it
never seems to have any effect beyond normal fluctuations in daily life, or
even in daily war.

 What I never suspected was that they were being extremely dishonest with the
way they collect and interpret the data they use to reach their rather
unconvincing conclusions. And to be honest, if somebody working in head office
and who practised the TMSP twice daily doesn't believe it then what hope have
you got of persuading the man on the street? Or the professor in the government
research lab, working desperately to find ways of lowering the crime rate for
the least expenditure?

 The below letter was posted on "the other side" by MJ but I repost it here
because we all love talking about science and this is an opportunity to refresh
our memories some of the ways in which science works, or should work if you are
doing it properly.

 It seems to me that the very definition of what science is has become
untrustworthy with ME research. Science is a kind of safety net for the natural
human ability to believe silly things, and that's not our fault, we all have
ideas non-stop each and every day - science really is basically a filter for
stopping bad ideas getting through to the general population. It seems obvious
from this that MUM were playing fast and loose with standard data gathering
principles, reporting and some rather optimistic interpretations of not much
data, but there's a bit more that interests me.

 From the letter:

 "....having examined carefully a number of kibbutzim where up to 10% of the
population were engaged in daily TM practice, no improvement regarding a series
of social economic, and health indicators of progress was found, I received
from you the surprising answer that no positive result from TM practice is to
be expected with regard to a population smaller than 10,000."

 This is what we call a Deux ex Machina, an unexpected invention dropped into a
story in order for it to continue making sense. Obviously, a continuity of
results when dealing with a field effect should go without saying and this is a
major filter for the Maharishi Effect, this is supposedly physics after all.
It's dubious enough ascribing anthropomorphic resonances to the level of
particles and fields, but expecting them to discriminate between small groups
and large is utterly preposterous. Why would they even if they could? This
single revelation should damn the entire proposal on it's own and it reveals to
me that manipulation of statistics is the name of the game here, the higher the
numbers the more you can claim is happening from the smaller actual variations.
I highlight it because I've never heard a get-out clause like it in the TMO and
wonder if anyone else has?

 In his response, Orme Johnson accuses the author of scaremongering by offering
the letter for publication in a journal of cult study. Bang on, I would have
said, but I would like to see the research studied elsewhere. It has been of
course, and always with the same result, but not by the sort of large highly
credible college that everyone would defer to, and I don't mean that
disrespectfully to the smaller university in Iowa (I think) that pulled apart
the Washington study, they were quite right to ask the questions they did - The
main problem is a lack of explanation about how it might work, you have to give
an understandable mechanism if you want people to look further or it's just so
much statistical waffle, and now we see we can't even rely on that. This is why
they continue to get away with promoting it, it isn't important enough to draw
major attention, at best it's an odd footnote in social study. And then some.

 At the bottom OJ makes a comparison to Stephen Hawking's work on non-locality
in subatomic particles and claims the Unified Field might be a candidate for
explaining that. But Hawking doesn't even believe in unified field theories, he
teaches that the latest and best fundamental explanation we have is M theory
which is a huge and bewildering collection of equations created to explain the
many different fields and forces governing the behaviour of particles, it's a
long way from Einsteins dream of a simple equation of unification which John
Hagelin rather dubiously claims to have demonstrated but everyone else
abandoned in the 80's when the only experiment anyone could think of to
demonstrate it brought back a resounding "No".

 If this Maharishi Effect was a good idea I would expect the continuing
research and criticism to be stacking up into an impressive body of evidence
that answers more questions that it raises, instead it seems to get murkier and
less impressive the further you look into it.

 The Use of Transcendental Meditation to Promote - International Cultic Studies
Association (ICSA)
http://www.icsahome.com/articles/the-use-of-transcendental-meditation-to-promote-csj-3-1

http://www.icsahome.com/articles/the-use-of-transcendental-meditation-to-promote-csj-3-1

 The Use of Transcendental Meditation to Promote - Inte...
http://www.icsahome.com/articles/the-use-of-transcendental-meditation-to-promote-csj-3-1
 This article is an electronic version of an article originally published in
Cultic Studies Journal, 1986, Volume 3, Number 1, pages 135-141.

 View on www.icsahome.com
http://www.icsahome.com/articles/the-use-of-transcendental-meditation-to-promote-csj-3-1

 Preview by Yahoo