Coincidentally a constitutional scholar happened to contact me separately last
night by e-mail asking, “..how is it going here in Fairfield?” He is an
academic who reads all the Supreme Court opinions and edits for law review
journals. He happens also to have a scholarly interest in historic spiritual
communal groups like ours in Fairfield, Iowa.

 The guy teaches at the graduate level and is someone who I have met out at
conferences who has kept in contact about the 'historic' story evolving here in
Fairfield.

 I'll go back a few posts in to this 'TM Originalists as strict
preservationists v evolving and progressive practitioners in the movement' by
'Originalism' analogy thread and send him some links. He'll appreciate it and
likely send some thoughts along.
 -JaiGuruYou

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <mdixon.6...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Original intent was that the federal government would be very limited. The
states would have all power not granted to the federal government by virtue of
the tenth amendment. That way, each state would be it's own laboratory of
freedom. States would be able to *borrow* what worked from each other and
discard that which didn't. If individuals didn't like the laws of their state,
then they could move to a state that they liked.

 My tenth great grandfather came from London in 1640 and settled in James
Virginia. He stayed a while but later felt discriminated against since he was a
Quaker and the rest of the community was Presbyterian or Episcopalian.  He and
some other Quakers petitioned Lord Baltimore in Maryland  to resettle there
and were welcomed. A lot of laws in each colony were based on the will of the
community, which had it's roots in their religious preference. Maryland tended
to be more Catholic who were more tolerant of those *weird* Quakers. Each state
 had majority and minority religions. Of course, majority ruled.

 The *separation of church and state* issue that evolved  was not intended to
create a secular society but to keep one religion from dominating the whole
country as was the custom in Europe. The federal government would not establish
a state religion/church that could interfere with the will of the people in
each state.