On 06/18/2016 10:10 AM, feste37 wrote:

As far as Iowa is concerned, I remember reading a while back that the gun laws have been loosened. It used to be that if you wanted a concealed carry permit, you had to say why you needed it. Now, you just get issued with it, no questions asked, apparently.

In Fairfield, I doubt that there are many people who carry a concealed weapon. There is no need for such a thing here.

Until there is a need for such and it is too late.

I would like to ask such people what they are frightened of.

I have a friend who had a concealed weapons permit when she lived near Lake Merritt in Oakland. Might be a good idea there.

I read another article based on some kind of research that pointed out that if people are in an environment where they know there are guns, they will be more tensed up and aggressive. I think that is likely among gun carriers too. They are ready to defend themselves, but in my view that is more likely to attract aggression from others rather than repel it.

Not quite seeing that here where open carry is permissible.

Perhaps the 2nd Amendment served some useful purpose at some point in US history, but it has outlived its usefulness. I would repeal it and put an end to the romanticization of guns and gun violence, including the erroneous notion that you cannot be or feel safe unless you carry a gun.

Then owning a gun will become a 1st Amendment issue. Gotta think this through a bit more because cars kill more people per year than guns but we aren't talking about banning cars. You can't in a country like the US which is so spread out that only autos made sense.

Sorry Feste, but that's the way the discussion was coming off, very shallow and uninformed. At least someone could have posted the what the gun laws are in the US to make for a more "informed" opinion. Even the Wikipedia entry would be sufficient though folks could look up the legislation for even more depth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Such shallowness makes the denizens here look like "Eloi". I've been to Fairfield and know there is a fairly significant part of the population that no longer follows the TMO. They've moved on. Few of those post here.

One of the first things I heard on local talk radio was a journalist explain the difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons. Also there was some puzzlement from military folks about how the Orlando gunman was able to kill 50 people without reloading clips multiple times giving an opportunity to jump him. This leads to speculation of a second gunman and a "staged event". Also Russ Baker, an investigative reporter, raises some issues about the shooter:
http://whowhatwhy.org/2016/06/17/russ-baker-dont-rush-judgement-orlando-shooting/

The mainstream media fictionalizes a lot of the news to fulfill the agenda of their wealthy owners.