Marriage is difficult enough (so I hear) without the Catholic Church barging in
and laying down the law.

 Feste,

 The Church has become legalistic because of its interpretation of marriage in
the Bible.  It has determined that marriage cannot be broken.

 This has become a stumbling for many church members.  As such, they either
leave the church or ignore the rules set by the church.  They remain married in
the church, but have live-in girl friends or common-law wives.  In technical
terms, they should be excommunicated by the church.

 I'm staggered by the lack of understanding shown by the Catholic Church in
Philly of how intimate relationships between people work. What he says is
ridiculous, completely clueless. You would have to be equally clueless to take
any notice of it. My prediction is that no one will.

 Or move to another diocese. This is just for the Philadelphia archdiocese,
John. Did you read the article?

 Easier said than done.  If this is the case, a lot of Catholics will leave the
church.

 Philadelphia archbishop: Divorced Catholics must avoid sex
https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html

 Philadelphia archbishop: Divorced Catholics must avo...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html
 PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The head of the Roman Catholic Church in Philadelphia is
closing the door opened by Pope Francis to letting civilly remarried Catholics
rec...

 View on www.yahoo.com
https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html
 Preview by Yahoo