On Jan 5, 2006, at 7:55 AM, Vaj wrote:

On Jan 5, 2006, at 6:08 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

Now imagine being a young, naive guy from India

who has either lived with his mother or in an

ashram all his life, and who suddenly winds up

not only being the object of focus of tens of

thousands of TM students but the object of focus

for the world press (as a result of ripping off

the Beatles' share of mass attention). It would

be a miracle if he *had* handled it gracefully.

In my opinion, such a miracle did not occur.

There's a biography I read a while back on the web--I believe it was called "Call No Man Master", not certain--but it had a description of the early days of the TM movement in Britain and M's interaction with the public and how he taught from the perspective of a female assistant. She describes how M would come back after teaching or lecture in which he had to interact with students--understand he was teaching all the students on his own at this point--and was exhausted. He complained about all the endless questions people would ask. It becomes clear where the impetus to create "meditation guides" came from. It was just too much for him to handle, he was drained and exhausted.